What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
BlinkingCory

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by BlinkingCory »

Just realised, I got the measurement for milk powder wrong.
It's not half a kilo, it's half the volume of flour.
So (for ex) pint glass of flour, half pint of milk powder.
Bugger my brain!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:Just realised, I got the measurement for milk powder wrong.
It's not half a kilo, it's half the volume of flour.
So (for ex) pint glass of flour, half pint of milk powder.
Bugger my brain!
Cheers for the amendment, I've copied across your earlier posts to my folder of useful stuff. I'm looking forward to giving them a shot.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've been lazy on the dehydrating front this week but I've got a load of frying steak cut up and marinating ready for the dehydrator and we seem to have built up a bit of a 'shroom' mountain so I'll start on them (and give the future jerky a chance to sook up the juice a bit longer) before moving onto the cow.

Apart from that I need to have another reorganisation but I'll not hold my breath, I've been needing to do it for a while. The man cave is a bit of a dumping ground at the moment and my scran stores are all over the place. :oops:

Turned over about half Her Maj's beds up the allotment before using dog walking as an excuse to toss off doing the rest, from previous experience they'll need doing again before she gets her shit in one sock and cracks on. To be fair, she's been growing the chillies in the house which is my primary concern. :D

Some more wood courtesy of the Council but generally a quiet one on the prepping front.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Added some more books to my library:

St John Ambulance First Aid Manual (10th Edition)
The Wilderness Guide To Dutch Oven Cooking
Food For Free (Gem)
Knots (Gem)
All-in Fighting, W. E. Fairbairn

The last one is just our of curiosity mostly as I read about the Fairbairn-Sykes knife and Fairbairn seemed like an interesting 'get the job done' character.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

I bought some more AA and AAA Duracell batteries (2 for price of one at Tesco), got some more candles and some Seven Oceans 72 hour rations for my stores.

I've also been focusing more on skills rather than gear of late. I've learnt a few more knots and recently purchased Hedgerow Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies Kindle Edition
by Julie Bruton-Seal.

It lists 50 common herbs found commonly across the UK and gives recipes on how to turn them into tea, tinctures and syrups etc. Some are more useful than others but there are some good blood clotting agents and flu and pain relief remedies using things like Agrimony, Plantain and Elderberries.

I'm going to start by buying the supplies online until I get the hang of making them and identifying the plants, and then when I get more confident I'm going to see if I can go out into my local woods and source them myself.
shocker

Post by shocker »

The problem with the F-S system is that it is fighting to KILL. That knowledge is a big, dangerous burden to carry. Krav Maga with its focus on getting out of danger may be a better choice...but my knowledge of that is not deep so I may be wrong, often am.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
shocker

Post by shocker »

Went to our local Rifle and Pistol shooting club/range last night for the first time. Had a great time and got a warm welcome. My mrs loved it and had a whale of a time so thats a new interest that we can share. A big step forward on the prep front too.

I owe a big thanks to a few of this forums members (you know who you are !) for info and encouragement...

...thanks guys ! From the both of us :D :D :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:Went to our local Rifle and Pistol shooting club/range last night for the first time. Had a great time and got a warm welcome. My mrs loved it and had a whale of a time so thats a new interest that we can share. A big step forward on the prep front too.

I owe a big thanks to a few of this forums members (you know who you are !) for info and encouragement...

Bloody good show, sounds like you're hooked... only took me one visit too :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Plymtom wrote:
shocker wrote:Went to our local Rifle and Pistol shooting club/range last night for the first time. Had a great time and got a warm welcome. My mrs loved it and had a whale of a time so thats a new interest that we can share. A big step forward on the prep front too.

I do like to shoot a good gun. There's something very primal about it that gets the blood going. I was lucky enough to shoot an M60 machine gun and a fully automatic AK47 while in Vietnam back in 2013. Much more exciting than the shotguns I'm used to shooting :D

Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

MBJ wrote:
Plymtom wrote:

I do like to shoot a good gun. There's something very primal about it that gets the blood going. I was lucky enough to shoot an M60 machine gun and a fully automatic AK47 while in Vietnam back in 2013. Much more exciting than the shotguns I'm used to shooting :D

Nice... expensive to play with though I'm glad we don't have them just from that perspective.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.