New on here

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
pseudonym

Re: New on here

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

I usually just eat what is ready at the time , but many things will keep through most of the winter , things like spuds , cabbages , Leeks , carrots etc . So I get through in the main but do still buy veg when needed . Having my own wheat barley , oats and rye is good too so must get them all back on the go . You cannot beat eating fresh bread knowing you grew the wheat , made the yeast and then cooked it .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Rustyme, welcome to the forum - how amazing that you produce so much of your own food. And what a horrible crash back in the 1980s :(

West Wales ... lot of alternative communities round there at one stage, do you have any neighbours you feel are your peers, or local farmers that know what you're getting at?
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Hello arzosah , not really , I know quite a few but they probably think I am just a nutter . They may be right too. I just do my thing and they do there's , each to their own I suppose .
bobble

Post by bobble »

Welcome from Merseyside! 🤩
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

hello and welcome from another rusty
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Rustyme wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:17 pm I usually just eat what is ready at the time , but many things will keep through most of the winter , things like spuds , cabbages , Leeks , carrots etc . So I get through in the main but do still buy veg when needed . Having my own wheat barley , oats and rye is good too so must get them all back on the go . You cannot beat eating fresh bread knowing you grew the wheat , made the yeast and then cooked it .
I'm still impressed :)
What do you do for protein? Fishing/hunting/keeping chickens or rabbits? Barter/buy meat? Vegan?

And picking your brains..... What should I plant now?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Nearly out of power on the kindle , but you could plant broad beans , some peas maybe or just get everything ready for next year , it will soon be here . As for protein , beans will cover that but eat meat. I don't like fish much and don't hunt . I may get some chickens and sheep next year , meat , eggs , wool and skins . That will help with my anglo saxon living history thing I want to do
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Rustyme wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:03 pm Nearly out of power on the kindle , but you could plant broad beans , some peas maybe or just get everything ready for next year , it will soon be here . As for protein , beans will cover that but eat meat. I don't like fish much and don't hunt . I may get some chickens and sheep next year , meat , eggs , wool and skins . That will help with my anglo saxon living history thing I want to do
Thanks.
I threw in some peas as "green manure" Might pop in some onions and garlic.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong