Domestic Budget

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: Domestic Budget

Post by itsybitsy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:28 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:18 pm As a result of now being off work,our combined income will drop viciously. I am sure there are other members here who will be in a similar situation,and also sure they will have top tips! :D I am planning on getting better and spending at least six months at home,before moving along to do work. Got to have a plan! So whilst waiting for treatment,I am not being negative,but trying to make positive plans for us.
Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:06 am Regarding food, I'm trying to keep mine to £100 a month.
I hesitate to post this. It's not meant as any kind of personal attack on Jansman or anyone, while he's down.

I know Jansman was a bit dismissive of a few frugal shopping discussions, recently. Sorry. Jansman, inflation wasn't your priority then, I understand that and it might not be a big deal even now. You said something along the lines of 'whatever happens,and whatever we can hustle for... we will do our best under the circumstances'?
But we can all discover a new fondness for such frugality. My own grocery budget is approx £100 per person per month. That's getting squeezed by inflation and unfortunately this is a fixed income household. So, there's no current opportunities at boosting income with overtime or side hustles.
We are OK at the moment, but looking at a five year inflationary world, we could be in the 'heat or eat' crisis just as old age starts to sink in. Hence my frugality lately. No offense to Jansman, but you might be in for some shocks when planning scenarios. E.g. If MrJJ pegged it, my reduced household income would not cover council tax, energy, and food half as well as it does now and savings are getting devalued by inflation and stock market gyrations. Maybe, (again, no offence Jansman) an inheritance might be just down the line, which might help. Or maybe a big cost like a car failure or domestic crisis could kick in. Suddenly having six months pantry and a fishing and hunting lifestyle might not be enough. Our prepping is only about buying time, isn't it. Setting up a few options and escape routes.

Jansman does right to revisit and address his current domestic budget situation. Just as he helps me with my dumb-a55 veg growing questions, I'll happily nudge him with my frugality tips, until he tells me not to :)

One BIG domestic budget drain has recently woken me up. Not something I suspect affects everyone here, but certainly common in my wider family..... The frequent Costa coffee and cake on the garden centre visit. I realised that these recreational wanders round the mall or shopping centre, or visits to the Range, or wherever were a significant and growing expense. £15 to £25 was disappearing most weeks as 'invisible spending': Simply visiting the Garden centre or the mall or the Range, AFTER having a light lunch at home has had a big impact on spending.
Next week, I'm going to be restarting my use of the 'Too Good To Go' app. That used to feed ME for typically 3 or 4 meals for £3.80 Mr JJ laughed and was not so keen on some of the dietary lucky dips. Needs must.
Jansman 'dismissive' of frugal shopping discussions?! Jansman? The OG of the hustle? The most financially savvy, money-conscious member of this site, bar none?! Good grief, I've heard it all now. :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GeeGee, I'm so sorry to hear how bad things got/have got, for both of you, I can hardly imagine that day after day. As jansman said earlier, and itsy said in the first quote, this little quote from itsy's post sums up everything:
itsybitsy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:56 pmYou 100 percent have to do what you need to do and screw anyone else - it's dog eat dog and DSS would screw you over as soon as look at you to make sure you are milking/working that system exactly as you need to.
DSS show you no kindness, no help beyond the legal minimum, and that only under duress, from the sound of it. A broken system, absolutely. Even the CAB couldn't find anything to be done?

I want to go through things like Olio and TGTG, but I'm sure you've looked at those - or if you haven't had time or headspace, let us know on here.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:35 pm GeeGee, I'm so sorry to hear how bad things got/have got, for both of you, I can hardly imagine that day after day. As jansman said earlier, and itsy said in the first quote, this little quote from itsy's post sums up everything:
itsybitsy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:56 pmYou 100 percent have to do what you need to do and screw anyone else - it's dog eat dog and DSS would screw you over as soon as look at you to make sure you are milking/working that system exactly as you need to.
DSS show you no kindness, no help beyond the legal minimum, and that only under duress, from the sound of it. A broken system, absolutely. Even the CAB couldn't find anything to be done?

I want to go through things like Olio and TGTG, but I'm sure you've looked at those - or if you haven't had time or headspace, let us know on here.
I, unfortunately, had to avail myself of the Universal Credit system a couple of years ago and to say I was shocked at how little support I was eligible for is an understatement, it terrified me - certainly it wasn't enough to make any meaningful impact on living costs. They took money OFF me because I had a second bedroom in the house! Bedroom tax apparently and a real money-spinner because how many people live in a one-bedroom property in this country?! In fact, I've never even seen one-bedroom properties anywhere! Utter bas*ards. The only good thing to come out of it is, should I ever need to use that system again, I know exactly what I need to do to maximise my eligibility and I will literally stop at nothing to ensure I get every single penny.
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:41 pm
Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:35 pm GeeGee, I'm so sorry to hear how bad things got/have got, for both of you, I can hardly imagine that day after day. As jansman said earlier, and itsy said in the first quote, this little quote from itsy's post sums up everything:

I, unfortunately, had to avail myself of the Universal Credit system a couple of years ago and to say I was shocked at how little support I was eligible for, shocked and terrified me - certainly not enough to make any meaningful impact on living costs. They took money OFF me because I had a second bedroom in the house! Bedroom tax apparently and a real money-spinner because how many people live in a one-bedroom property in this country?! In fact, I've never even seen one-bedroom properties anywhere! Utter bas*ards. The only good thing to come out of it is, should I ever need to use that system again, I know exactly what I need to do to maximise my eligibility and I will literally stop at nothing to ensure I get every single penny.
Exactly that! My union ( brilliant) are sorting a way forward for us ,with advice etc. as they are aware of sudden problems. We will survive a bit at a time.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

SOLIDARITY CITOYENS!! gimme a barricade! Gimme a guillotine!! Gimme my knitting! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:04 pm It is so easy to get caught in wasteful habits. I am just as guilty as anyone else. Peer pressure has a lot to do with it in some circumstances. Urban folk may just have different peer pressures.
After changing job a few years ago to one in central London, I realised that there was a culture of taking the mid-morning and mid-afternoon teabreak by walking to the coffee shop. It was the only way to actually get a break. Avoiding the spend meant either missing the social interaction or gaining a reputation as either tight or broke (rather than sensible) by walking but not buying.
Buying lunch from the vibrant street food market instead of taking a packed one was another expensive habit that many people succumbed to and resulted in a peer pressure effect.
Keeping an old fashioned notebook for a week or two and writing EVERY spend in it, no matter how small can be an eyeopener as to where your spending has become a habit and can help a lot with getting a budget under control.
I log every spend, but not every separate item when I go to the supermarket. I do log whisky separately now.
So for instance I know how much I've spent on groceries this month, excluding whisky and bog roll which I get in bulk about every 9 months, which last time got put against household expenses. I get washing up liquid in bulk but that goes against groceries, ditto laundry liquid. Things like batteries and light bulbs, cleaning etc probably go against household. So, I suppose Groceries = food + washing up liquid + laundry liquid. A bit abritary, but at least I have a target for Groceries as defined above. I do it in Numbers (apple) so it's all added up for me. I also tick each off when they clear through my bank, and when they are delivered.
Last edited by Frnc on Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:08 pm SOLIDARITY CITOYENS!! gimme a barricade! Gimme a guillotine!! Gimme my knitting! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Talking of knitting. I've bought some amazing yarn from a company called Malabrigo - it's divine. I sold almost all of the 'luxe' range of hats that I introduced this year so I'm expanding it for next year! :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Itsy: absolutely. Use the system - it's been decimated, so you have to be extra canny with how you work it. I'm not up to date with it, but I'm glad you are.

Jansman: I'm glad you've got an efficient welfare section to your union still, that's what they were originally for, after all, back in the 19th century, and wouldn't they be horrified that they're just as badly needed now as then?

Lil: Knitting was a big thing for those old dears who sat by the basket that carried the heads they chopped off with the guillotine :shock: I really hope we don't go there, but if we do, I'll be the runner with the yarn :lol:

PS itsy - you have a proper knitting sideline, from the sound of it, I hadn't *quite* clocked it was at this level. Such a good idea!
ETA - just had a look at the malabrigo website. Amazing!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:27 pm Itsy: absolutely. Use the system - it's been decimated, so you have to be extra canny with how you work it. I'm not up to date with it, but I'm glad you are.

Jansman: I'm glad you've got an efficient welfare section to your union still, that's what they were originally for, after all, back in the 19th century, and wouldn't they be horrified that they're just as badly needed now as then?

Lil: Knitting was a big thing for those old dears who sat by the basket that carried the heads they chopped off with the guillotine :shock: I really hope we don't go there, but if we do, I'll be the runner with the yarn :lol:

PS itsy - you have a proper knitting sideline, from the sound of it, I hadn't *quite* clocked it was at this level. Such a good idea!
I knit all year then do a few winter/Christmas markets. I like being creative and it brings in some money - I'd like to expand it but this bloody job I have creeps into my personal life too much, I'm working on changing things but they take time. Of course, I do need a guaranteed income and markets are a bit hit and miss - at least this year they are! to give you an idea, a two-day market that I sold well over 2k's worth of hats last year, didn't even break a grand this year. It's not that people weren't buying, it's that it just wasn't busy - I think the weather had a detrimental impact - it was really rubbish and rained both days, and I also think that people had perhaps gone elsewhere this year as it's the busiest market weekend for Christmas events. I did another event and took almost 4k. You just never know. But I love doing them, I love being with the other stallholders, and I love being in stately homes/estates at Christmas so it's a win-win situation. :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Arzosah I think I could really enjoy that knitting :mrgreen:
Itsy yes Malabrigo is nice stuff.