Why I Prep: Hope.... Not The Apocalypse!

How are you preparing
izzy_mack

Re: Why I Prep: Hope.... Not The Apocalypse!

Post by izzy_mack »

Great post. Made me sit down and just THINK. I've had a few bumps in the road. Living in a caravan for most of a year, with no electricity water or sewage with OH and 3 young teens was interesting. We managed but doing all that laundry by hand was tough.
I realise that on the practical side, I'm pretty well prepared and can cope with living rough if needs be. What I need to work on is the mental side. Thanks to your post I'm now making a plan to get fitter both physically and especially mentally,

You have a talent for writing, I look forward to reading future posts.
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

izzy_mack wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:37 am Great post. Made me sit down and just THINK.

Thanks, I tend to write what's in my head, normally like verbal diarrhoea 🤣

luckily sometimes, something useful pops out.
izzy_mack wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:37 am
I've had a few bumps in the road. Living in a caravan for most of a year, with no electricity water or sewage with OH and 3 young teens was interesting. We managed but doing all that laundry by hand was tough.
I realise that on the practical side, I'm pretty well prepared and can cope with living rough if needs be. What I need to work on is the mental side.
It's the bumps that shape us and make us who we are.
izzy_mack wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:37 am I realise that on the practical side, I'm pretty well prepared and can cope with living rough if needs be. What I need to work on is the mental side. Thanks to your post I'm now making a plan to get fitter both physically and especially mentally,

Always happy for a chat if anyone need, feel free to pm me evan if it's just for an offload LoL
Prepping—not just for the end of the world, but for the beautifully unpredictable journey of life itself
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

*Echos the sentiment of great post* Yes Hope - that is a very good reason for prepping. Sorry to hear you have had to deal with some tough situations. I while I do feel the world needs a proper shake down for the longevity of humanity (But that's an thought for a different thread!), I totally get the idea of Hope to see you through life's tough stuff.

I am someone who is practical and even when personal stuff is dark and life isn't going well, I normally still have some degree of hope. Prepping enables me to do that. It gives me a comfort knowing I have thought about a worse scenario than the present and if I have given it prior thought, then I should be able to deal with it better. I read an article recently that said that there was some evidence that people who enjoy watching and playing end of the world games/films etc will be/are better mentally equipped to deal with real pandemics, outbreak of war etc as the situation is not alien to their thought processes. I would suggest that, that sort of reasoning applies to prepping. That gives me hope that I will be reasonably well equipped to mentally deal with even personal apocalypses as I have thought about various potential future requirements. The knowledge that I have a roof over my head, or what I would do if I didn't have that roof, the knowledge that I can keep myself warm and fed for a while while I plan the next steps, is comforting and therefore for me, hopeful. From a Maslow Hierarchy of Human needs, shelter, food and water are fairly basic physiological and safety needs. If they are in place then the other stuff such as social and mental needs can be dealt with. Better to have and not need, than need and not have. That applies to the non tangible stuff such as hope, planning and knowledge!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)