Vehicle Preps

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Medusa

Vehicle Preps

Post by Medusa »

What do you carry in your vehicle? We have a pickup truck and have the basic spare wheel and jack etc. The back seat has a couple of wool blankets over the top. Storage under the back seats has large umbrella, my walking staff and the emergency car battery starter. Side pockets in the truck hold tissues, anti bac wipes,sick bags, the window striker/seatbelt cutter, bottles of water, first aid kit, disposa john toilet bags and insect repellant. The main glove box contains emergency blankets, emergency beacons, emergency triangle and hi vis jackets. Pockets at the back of the front seats hold maps, bags for life and the first aid kit I am required to carry for work. We also have a box which fits in the bed of the truck over the back wheels, this contains gas stove and gas, several lighters, flint and steel, emergency matches, emergency rations, emergency water pouches, more first aid items inlcuding OTC meds, firestarting kit, a tarp, emergency bivvy, cordage, a couple of bushcraft knives, cordage. emergency blankets, multi tool, duct tape, plastic bags & bin liners, tie wraps, a hammer and adjustable spanner, a couple of emergency ponchos, basic cook set and sporks, foldable cups and and supplies of tea, coffee and sugar.
Growing old disgracefully!
Nurseandy

Re: Vehicle Preps

Post by Nurseandy »

Hi medusa, similar (but not as extensive, in my car), but also have £50 in cash in case my wallet is stolen/cards stop working and also a length of pipe to put over the wheel nut spanner to get extra leverage otherwise wheel nuts are pretty well impossible to undo.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Nurseandy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:11 am Hi medusa, similar (but not as extensive, in my car), but also have £50 in cash in case my wallet is stolen/cards stop working and also a length of pipe to put over the wheel nut spanner to get extra leverage otherwise wheel nuts are pretty well impossible to undo.
I bought a short length of steel tube to get extra leverage on one of my chain breakers that lives in my bike pannier. My bike is my vehicle, unless I'm using public transport. So I can't carry loads. In a car, I would carry something warm to wear, and windproof. Maybe also a waterproof. I took a fleece on my trip down south the other day, used it waiting for a train on Thurs morning. I also had a very thin softshell I used quite a lot.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This might sound a bit OTT, but I have a couple of home made sheewees - a 2 litre laundry liquid container with a funnel I can hold. I was thinking about situations where I might be driving with my sister and get stuck on a motorway - that's happened to me before now - and as a woman, you can't get out and pee against a tree, after all :shock:
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:06 am This might sound a bit OTT, but I have a couple of home made sheewees - a 2 litre laundry liquid container with a funnel I can hold. I was thinking about situations where I might be driving with my sister and get stuck on a motorway - that's happened to me before now - and as a woman, you can't get out and pee against a tree, after all :shock:
That is actually a really good idea, I might have to copy that. Funny story and not at all related to prepping: Late stage of pregnancy and having a day trip to the Lakes, had to ask husband to stop the car so I could answer the call of nature. Nipped into a field without realising that we were at the bottom of a hill and that all the HGV's coming down the hill could probably see me and my hugely pregnant belly attempting to squat :lol:
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Even on a blokes perspective I did once top up my screen wash and use the empty 5l flaggon sat outside Scunthorpe a&e waiting for the wife to be discharged during lockdown they wouldn't let me inside to use the facilities a blanket comes in handy in a busy area :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

some interesting thoughts here. definitely re-evaluating what I carry.
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

Medusa wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:09 am What do you carry in your vehicle? We have a pickup truck and have the basic spare wheel and jack etc.
I rarely travel, then no more than an hour's journey from home, so my vehicle is far less well equipped. There's a blanket, camping stove, four days' water, and food, plate and basic cutlery, mug, minimal first aid kit, torch, loo roll, jump leads, snowchains, a long wheelnut socket spanner, jack, and other sundry items. I don't keep high - value items in my vehicle. There's also a BOB (which I hope never to use owing to my age; I favour bugging in) which has a sleeping bag, "Leatherman", extra paracord, a camo poncho, a bit of food and water, MP3 player and earphones, minimal first aid kit, and several other items which are complementary to the contents of my vehicle.

If I need to bug out by vehicle quickly, I would grab my BOB, my small ruck sack which I use for shopping with cash and cards, with my minimal EDC kit, and go.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:06 am This might sound a bit OTT, but I have a couple of home made sheewees - a 2 litre laundry liquid container with a funnel I can hold. I was thinking about situations where I might be driving with my sister and get stuck on a motorway - that's happened to me before now - and as a woman, you can't get out and pee against a tree, after all :shock:
My lodger's car broke down on the M25 last week. Not asked him how long he had to wait for the rescue. But I believe he had to wait a couple of days to get it fixed.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ooh, it sounds like the home made sheewee could be a thing! Lots more situations here than I thought about - I was thinking of getting trapped on a motorway, no toilets of course, and nowhere private to pee - these things are great, thank you :)