Hi All

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Pers5579

Hi All

Post by Pers5579 »

Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello and explain a bit of what I'm looking for.

Ever since covid I have come to realise that I need to make sure that me and my family are self-sufficient in the event of another crisis happening. So I have started fairly small in terms of having some water and food storage as well as equipment such as batteries, torches, radios and I have expanded some of our camping equipment (oh and plenty of toilet paper!!)

I'm not going as far as preparing for nuclear war, but I feel more comfortable knowing that I've got a few weeks worth of supplies so that I don't have to leave the house if I don't want to!

But looking forward to getting some hints and tips from some more experienced people on here.
jennyjj01

Re: Hi All

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome from Sunny Cheshire.

You found the right place. I reckon most of we UK preppers are of a similar mind : How can we comfortably handle a crisis of a few months which might be a disaster for the unprepped? Possibly only a few here are seriously prepping for TEOTWAWKI. though we give some thought to surviving societal breakdown. A few months extra provisions and a bit of equipment can deal with 3 months crisis, during which we aspire to adapt if needs be. There are a few here who are massively self sufficient homesteaders. Plus a few who live off grid. And some with a minimal extra few tins of beans.

Covid was a prime example of what to realistically prep for. Lockdowns were a great dress rehearsal and an eye-opener.

Mooch around. You'll find info on food creation and storage, heat, light and shelter prepping, right through to financial prepping. Ask any questions and chip in your own answers.

JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hi, welcome. I think priorities off the top of my head are
savings, ready emergency money, incl some cash
house repairs
smoke alarms etc
security
food and water stock, filters, puri tabs (use both)
cooking without gas or electricty
emergency lighting pref incl good head torch
power banks, maybe some solar power
warm clothes and spare duvets
decent waterproofs and boots
lightweight packable windproof jacket
bugout bag and/or get home bag
EDC (every day carry)
maps and compass
battery operated radio, wind up and solar if poss. For emergency news.
some people grow food, some learn about wild edible plants
Important documents incl passport and copy of house deeds

what have I missed out?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:17 pm Hi, welcome. I think priorities off the top of my head are
Important documents incl passport and copy of house deeds

what have I missed out?
Agreed. Good list. Money and food reserves cover a multitude of realistic risks.

One more I'd mention is prep for sudden lifestyle changes, such as serious illness or death in the home. Part of why prepping is a family exercise. Get spouse on board and both be confident with running the home.

Oh.... And many of us are strict on OPSEC. Keep your preparedness discreet unless you want to be the new foodbank when all other shops and foodbanks are empty. Prep your mindset for when those mocking non-prepped family, friends and neighbours come begging for help.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

One thing I'd always advise those starting in the prepping path is put the money away for now it's always a danger you'll blow a fortune on random shiny kit and have a load of Gucci stuff and no real logic or reason to have it....

Start with a list of scenarios or potential events and do a brain storm if we can still use that term in the current climate :lol: (son had had a couple of seizures and i dont find the term offensive but I was dragged up in the 80s :twisted: )..... Both from risks and potential issues and the kit you feel would come in handy...

You'll start finding some overlapping kit...

Power cut..... Loss of lighting = torch / lantern / warm clothing

House fire.. Evac plan, spare key in safe place to get the door open.. fire alarms / extinguishers / torch

Car breakdown... Flat tyre... Tools spare wheel torch for night time issues

Loss of boiler (breakdown) warm clothes, way to heat water

Big Storm loss of power torch... Secure garden stuff first aid kit

Flooding sand bags torch (loss of power )

Snow storm salt shovel risk of power cut .. torch etc ect........

So from that you will see a torch is high on the list of desirable kit for example (keep quiet Jenny and GG) :lol:

One thing people over look is knowledge it's no good having some shiny first aid kit with no idea how to use a triangle bandage or deal with heavy bleeding ......

Many workplaces pay you a bit extra to be a fire warden or first aider these skills are ones you take with you home or to the park or on family days out they let you keep your head when something happens as you know what to do and have practiced in...

One of the worst things imo they did the other year was take the sinareo based exam out of the first aid at work and went to continuous assessment as it put you under a bit of pressure...... And you had to perform to pass .. bit of fake blood and rubber bones sticking out of someone's arm made you have to react and it showed who had taken in the training

And don't forget insurance... Be it home / car / breakdown cover READ the policy book before buying so you know what your getting
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:44 pm One thing I'd always advise those starting in the prepping path is put the money away for now it's always a danger you'll blow a fortune...
Start with a list of scenarios or potential events and do a brain storm ....

You'll start finding some overlapping kit...

So from that you will see a torch is high on the list of desirable kit for example (keep quiet Jenny and GG) :lol:
I won't comment on YA's torch collection.
He raises a super valid point. Find answers that cover a multitude of risks to get max bang for your buck. A couple of hundred pounds cash and a well stocked pantry, and a torch :) can contribute to many solutions.
When building your well stocked pantry, plan that out so as to build in stock rotation, rather than just buying random stuff. Treat your extended pantry as your local supermarket, and your supermarket as your wholesaler.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And as you go camping you'll know the score and no doubt have a camping stove or a few along with gas ... Keep the stocks up of that as SHTF you won't find a cartridge or full calor bottle for love nor money ..

Get a aqua roll barrel and tap kit / universal tap hose makes collecting water easy

https://towsure.com/products/aquaroll-e ... rrier-blue

https://towsure.com/collections/camping ... e-aquaroll

https://towsure.com/products/fill-up-tu ... rQQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchman-80TA- ... B000W4BFDU

Used mine when we had no water at home last summer for over a week when the water men were testing the got them to fill it from the standpipes in the road they set up

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Pers5579

Post by Pers5579 »

Hi all thanks for the welcome and advice so far!

A stash of cash of something I will start working on - power outage is something high on my list of scenarios - and I do think with moving towards digital currency and closure of banks/reliance on apps needs consideration!

Water is also something I've been considering - so far I have about 12 x 1l bottles of water in the garage which isn't going to serve a family of 4 well for very long! Thanks YA for the links for the water storage I'll take a look at these too :-)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pers5579 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:40 am Hi all thanks for the welcome and advice so far!

A stash of cash of something I will start working on - power outage is something high on my list of scenarios - and I do think with moving towards digital currency and closure of banks/reliance on apps needs consideration!

Water is also something I've been considering - so far I have about 12 x 1l bottles of water in the garage which isn't going to serve a family of 4 well for very long! Thanks YA for the links for the water storage I'll take a look at these too :-)
The aqua roll might not be the most space efficient way to store but been able to push / pull 40 kg across rough ground be is a stone road way or grass field it has a lot going for it way better than one of those folding sack barrows that was a battle even with just 20l (20kg) on it :lol:

The water men kept offering a 6 pack of bottled water we told them to keep it for those who can't manage a big container....

Late at night we got trickles of water through as there was no demand on the system I used that time to fill the 100l rain barrel for loo flushes washing up etc having first cleaned it out well

The MIL was on the priority register .. they dropped her 2x2l at the start and that was it!