Thinking about winter 24-25....

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Thinking about winter 24-25....

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well it's half 8 or it was when I first sat down :lol: abd its dark :( :( :(

Lawns had a cut this evening and autumn feed / moss kill applied had to finish off via flood lights

Think it's time to pull my finger out and wrap up some outside jobs over the coming week or so :roll: play house needs a new plastic window (no one knows how it broke... kids ... :| and one and a half walls staining.... For one... As the wife started then got distracted got the paint I'll wait for a calm evening and spray it :twisted:

Back hedge needs cutting

Lots of biting midges about this year two had me whilst cutting the grass ... Deet repellent it is then

The UV fly killers (it might be a bit industrial but it works led and cost me £20 from a bankrupt stock shop ) is doing a good trade )
Screenshot_20240903-210813.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hedge mostly cut, had to leave it all summer because there could be birds nesting in it. Arms knackered.

Put a weekly reminder in my calendar to check the outside lights.

Checked the new rates for gas and electricity from Oct 1st. My bill is going up from £76 to £109 a month as my fixed rate ends. The rises are elec standing 114% after £25 discount (!), elec units 32%, gas standing minimal after £25 discount, gas units 63%. So, no heating this winter!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Finished cutting the hedge. Security bushes I re-planted haven't grown a huge amount, but at least they are alive.

Checked both solar outdoor motion security lights. One didn't come on just after 8, but did a bit later, when it was darker. So both are fine.

Was hot yesterday, but some cold nights coming up.

Will do winter rotation in a couple of weeks.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well Friday I got the cars underside jet washed chassis / suspension / arches .. was hoping for a warm dry Saturday but it was damp so didn't get to touch up the underseal....... But it's prepped ready for a dry warm day....

Got the play shed painted so that the kids stuff dry as the thin wood often soaked through in winter ...

Charged up some of the rechargeable outdoor lights and ones on the landing and hall way then the sun went in..... So that's that plan scuppered (was charging batteries via solar ... )

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Turned the boiler back to heat and water. Checked the settings, 45 for water and 56 for heat. 56 might have to go up a bit if it get very cold. Put the thermostat on Auto. I'm not anticipating using heat until October, or even November, but you never know. Couple of cold mornings coming up, but the house has plenty of heat in its fabric at the moment obviously.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Did my winter rotation a bit early, as we are having a few cold days. Mostly it was getting winter clothes out of drawers and onto the clothes rail in the prep room. A few things swapped in the BOB. Dug out my autumn and winter cycling gloves and caps. Both security lights checked.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Plan tonight is to measure up for a thermal roller blind for the living room...

Most other rooms have a blind and curtains might as well sort the lounge out too ... Favour roller blinds as the cats a Pollock ...... :twisted:

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well that planned scuppered swmbo doesn't want a blind...... Next up thermal curtain linings to back the green curtains she likes :|

Might just order one anyway :shock:

Greenhouse heater is lit till I get chance to get in there this weekend and assess if there's much worth saving tomato plants still flowering.....

Outdoor cat needs a new bed in the playhouse where she sleeps ... Will find her a nice cardboard box ... Let's be fair cats like boxes :lol: laid on its side she will enjoy it. Won't sleep on the £15 cat bed we got her last year :lol:

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, working with the windows is so important. I happen to have security film on quite a few of mine this year - its quite thick, probably does something. But most of the curtains I have are quite thin, the exception being my bedroom curtains, plus kitchen isn't bad. I have some spare thermal lining to put up, the reflective stuff and the rubberised stuff. I need to do that - I'll have to be much more careful this year because of the loss of the heating allowance. Better use of what I've got will be crucial.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Frost this morning and car windscreens being scraped
First day I've gone out to the bin and come back in shivering
Fire is lit ..making sure no smoke as i read the first £300 fine has been dished out to someone for smoke from their chimney ... they seem to be going for those with log burners ..
Booked to go abroad at Christmas its cheaper to pay that than it is to stay home and pay the bills...so won't be here ill be sunbathing and sleeping or maybe a drink or two or three after the awful performance a year ago I will be turning water off when I go if I'm still living here ..presume I will be even if house sellsas it takes a while now
Like YA I've got the outdoor cat "box " sorted
Bought allsorts for that ungrateful stray I've had for 5 yr and he likes a tarp in a box and still would go full ninja on me if I got too close ..5 yr ! Was a polish family who went home so he doesn't understand the English swearing at him its just open that cat food woman !
My spoiled one is in bed :lol:
Organising my annual prescription certificate so I can collect my blood pressure tabs its cheaper that way but chemist has been struggling to get some supplies for some reason and I'm on the hunt for a packed of sliced beef
For some reason all the supermarkets have been empty of it for a couple of weeks
Any beef experts out there ? Have we got less cows ?