Thinking about winter 24-25....

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: Thinking about winter 24-25....

Post by Frnc »

Heating didn't quite trigger this morning, despite the temperature reaching 3° last night. There's Arctic air reaching the UK.

Thermostat is set to 18.5 in the early monings. So I turned it up temporarily, to test it and check some of the radiators for air.

I now have a thermometer in the downstairs lodger's room (other lodger already had one) transmitting to my phone. It was colder than I expected (18.8). Fortunately, he say he doesn't feel the cold, so I may let his room run slightly cooler than the other lodger's.

Turned up the rad in the cellar below his room slightly, but it wasn't cold enough for it to come on. His thermometer is calibrated to mine, you can change the callibration of the device via the app. It only cost me about £8, was reduced from about £12.

Dug out most of the rest of my winter clobber. But the forecast is a lot warmer from tomorrow. I did use a bit of heating last October, but non the one before. I never use heating in Sept. Today was just a test.

I don't have much in the way of curtains etc. The lodgers now just have venetian blinds, but they now have double glazing. My room has a venetian blind and a curtain, but its lining is blackout, not thermal. Rear living room has a Roman blind, and the lining is blackout. But all windows are double glazed now. Doors are single glazed, but they do have draught excluders.

When it's very cold, I stick some parcel tape over the back door key holes (I have 2 mortice locks on it).
hobo

Post by hobo »

Frnc wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:40 am Dug out most of the rest of my winter clobber. But the forecast is a lot warmer from tomorrow. I did use a bit of heating last October, but non the one before. I never use heating in Sept. Today was just a test.

I don't have much in the way of curtains etc. The lodgers now just have venetian blinds, but they now have double glazing. My room has a venetian blind and a curtain, but its lining is blackout, not thermal.
Couldn’t find a glove or hat this morning - they’re all packed up in moving boxes! Chilly weather took me by surprise! I’ll be sorted by early next week when we’ve flitted to the new house. Not very preppy, all the same.
Proper curtains on order - thermal and blackout - for the first time in my life. Thanks to a small inheritence :)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

hobo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:08 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:40 am Dug out most of the rest of my winter clobber. But the forecast is a lot warmer from tomorrow. I did use a bit of heating last October, but non the one before. I never use heating in Sept. Today was just a test.

I don't have much in the way of curtains etc. The lodgers now just have venetian blinds, but they now have double glazing. My room has a venetian blind and a curtain, but its lining is blackout, not thermal.
Couldn’t find a glove or hat this morning - they’re all packed up in moving boxes! Chilly weather took me by surprise! I’ll be sorted by early next week when we’ve flitted to the new house. Not very preppy, all the same.
Proper curtains on order - thermal and blackout - for the first time in my life. Thanks to a small inheritence :)
Got my insulated jacket out a couple of days ago. It doesn't have a hood, so I keep a hat in one pocket, gloves in the other. In the summer it lives on top of my BOB in a wardrobe. I would take it in an evacuation, even in summer if I thought I might be outdoors at night. I alway check the weather a few days in advance, so I was expecting this. Hence I brought forward stuff I normally do in October.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

hobo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:08 pmProper curtains on order - thermal and blackout - for the first time in my life. Thanks to a small inheritence :)
That's a good use of an inheritance, hobo, but sorry you've lost someone.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:24 pm
That's a good use of an inheritance, hobo, but sorry you've lost someone.
[/quote]
Thanks!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got my car under sealed tonight more a top up the lanolin based stuff in the none flailed areas has hung on very well. Walked to the car could smell it three houses down it stinks :lol:

Mainly the arches that needed a top up but the sills and underside / suspension components got a mist over too ..

Wife's car tomorrow fortunately it's only small so won't take as long last did that 2 years ago so might need a bit more sheeps bath water........ (Most of the kit is ready to go in my dad's garage so that's half the battle)

Sisters cars back from the garage after a few mot advisories have been addressed I'd usually do it but the job was a bit big (read a total pita ((manifold studs snapped))). Glad I let the garage do it it was a total barsewards :lol: came to £440 but worth every penny ive seen the pictures :lol: £150 of that was work they found whilst dismantling (air con condenser and regas ) which was on its last legs :lol: plus dad told them to underseal it whilst its on the ramps £50 which is reasonable based on the cost of the stuff so £200 on top of the job but it's sorted I sent a new coolant pipe from my stock of car bits that's a common issue too ........

Glad I lit the greenhouse heater last night was a bank of freezing fog over town shed roof was white car was clear however.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GeraldTheBonzai

Post by GeraldTheBonzai »

We eventually bit the bullet and got a new gas boiler. The old one was on its last legs.

Logs for the wood burner now delivered and stashed. That's our primary heat source over the winter - easier than trying to heat the whole house, just have a couple of warm rooms.

Definite nip in the air this morning, even down here. Think it's time for the wardrobe change over.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeraldTheBonzai wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:27 am We eventually bit the bullet and got a new gas boiler. The old one was on its last legs.

Logs for the wood burner now delivered and stashed. That's our primary heat source over the winter - easier than trying to heat the whole house, just have a couple of warm rooms.

Definite nip in the air this morning, even down here. Think it's time for the wardrobe change over.

That'll probably save you some money over time being more efficient than the old one

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Wife's car is now also smelling like a sheep field fully slathered in the stuff I put overalls on this time ... :lol:

Put the winter tyres on it.. bit early but it's done and she's not doing the milage at the moment to worry too much ...

Next up whilst it's fair I might go tackle the shed so I can at least get my feet in the door ... But the sofa is comfy

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jobs for this week...

Run the generator up

Check the calor heater over..

Fill and test the diesel heater ..

Whilst it's still warm :lol:

Pick up some more chicken feed tonight on my way home then lady wasn't there Friday to take payment the Wearhouse man let me take a bag on Friday to keep me going I'd let the bin run out deliberately this refill should last me till the Christmas I hope 40kg of layers pellets and 20 mixed grain mixed to fatten them up s bit before winter bites and give them a bit of verity ... So need to settle my debt from Friday too 😆 one thing being a regular yoi can get something if theres an issue but you dont break that trust ....

Need some straw soon too.... And give the coup a wash out before winter

Looking at some long range forecasting although it's a long way off it looks to be a colder than average winter but time will tell .....

Dare I also say I've started my Christmas shopping too :o