Home Security Review Following Break in Attempt.

Homes and Retreats
buttystella

Re: Home Security Review Following Break in Attempt.

Post by buttystella »

dont forget you need to get out quick if a fire starts.
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

Very true, smoke alarms and a well rehearsed exit route required.
CardiffGuy

Post by CardiffGuy »

Thanks for the advice ladies and gents.

She has had plenty of treats and belly rubs today. Things are being sorted tomorrow as Ive ordered alot of wood to sort fencing out but I did today managed to make some modifications to the old dear's gates and doors next door so its a bit more safe for her until her own family are able to sort bits and pieces out.

Proactive action is now going to be taken to get the security situ sorted.

There was a local lad that got locked up a few weeks ago for 3 years iirc for creeper style burglaries however police dont believe he ever acted alone. No keys/Wallets/Purses/Bags are left down stairs at night - All remain in the bedroom with us to which the bedroom door is secure but for persec reasons, Im not going to disclose how if thats ok.

CCTV both overt and covert are now serious options I am considering short of getting roll down shutters put on every window possible where safe to do so. The more I think about things, I get angry each time as my personal space was violated and although the soon to be Mrs CG was asleep and unaware upstairs, potentially she was at risk.

Does anyone have any recommendations for CCTV options - preferrably wired(wires will be hidden).

Muchos Gracias
C.G.
Glydr

Post by Glydr »

I've got a black and white CCTV camera from ALDI, was only £15, works at night too, they had colour ones in the other day for a tenner, B &Q have a few types but a bit more expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for.
I had an attempted aggravated burglary happen to me on New Years day this year. I was in at the time, there was three of them, I got punched in the head about 10 times but it didn't hurt, they were feeble punches, the attempt was a failure, and they were seen off pretty quickly with the help of my GSD and a big axe, but the fools still persisted in attempting even after seeing my dog. One of them left a bit of claret behind, cos I tripped him up and he went down putting his hand down onto a board of wood with nails sticking out which i had inside drying for kindling for my open fire.
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Maplin has a good range of cctv. Looking currently myself to upgrade home security. I am going for cctv that has movement detection on the cameras and can send alerts and also be checked remotely with a mobile app.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

Cougar wrote:Maplin has a good range of cctv. Looking currently myself to upgrade home security. I am going for cctv that has movement detection on the cameras and can send alerts and also be checked remotely with a mobile app.
A friend of mine left those on at home when he went on holiday. While he was away he got a text message from the system to say the motion detectors had gone off. Fortunately he was able to log in from where he was and see it was nothing, then dial down the sensitivity. Sounds like the movement of the sun during the day changed the image enough to be detected as movement.

If he didn't have the ability to log in remotely he'd of had a week of worry, not much of a holiday!
CardiffGuy

Post by CardiffGuy »

All good ideas and much appreciated - will be checking out Maplin for their home security bits.

As a bit of warning to all though regarding safety for the house - ensure you keep all items out of the way/not on your stairs and/or landing/passage, I learnt out the hardway this morning going down stairs(in the dark but able to see a bit) fell top to bottom.

Result - knocked myself out, trip to a&e via the ambulance as they suspected I had done some damage, bruised ribs and some bruising on the old noggin are the only injuries. The soon to be Mrs CG has now bought those lights which go into the plug sockets as she thinks it may happen again.

C.G.
hobo

Post by hobo »

CG, when it rains it pours eh?
We have those plug in lights plus motion sensor nightluxes on every level
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9FSOdQ8BNA (bit of a silly video but you get the idea)

Hobo