Planting 2012

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Planting 2012

Post by jansman »

It sluicing down here .I have the usual onions and peas in. Spinach beet is in and just germinated. Everything is in a 'holding pattern ' in the greenhouses. We need sun!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

I've got things sown indoors and I've moved some things to a mini-greenhouse outside. I have another mini-greenhouse but it needs a new cover. I'm kind of stuck due to no more room right now.

I've recently been given an allotment so would like to get a lot more started, but I can't. Weather's been too bad to go break up the fallow areas of the allotment, too. Am thinking of hiring a rototiller for that, but can't do it if it's pouring or the ground is too soaked.

I know we need rain but I feel truly stuck.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We need rain-but not all at snottin' once!!! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

i managed to get most of my prep work for my veg patch done over the winter months which saved me a lot of hassle and got alot of stuff started indoors under lights ( cheating a bit) and in my green house. i sprout most of my seeds in an old take away tub with wet kitchen roll then stick it in the cupboard under the lizard viv, then plant them on. have some cauliflowers and romanesco cauli sprouting at the moment.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

I got a new allotment patch end of last year so most of the time I have been prepping the soil and weeding as it was just a grassy waste patch to start. How ever now I have got planted lots of spuds and a few row of beetroots and parsnips. Popped in 5 blueberry bushes of diff viarieties and a lonesome rubarb plant but due to the continueal rain, I have not done much else. Is it too late to stick in onions do you think? I have pees that I must plant out too this week end iin between the rain storms.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

you should still be okay to grow onions if your using onion sets. you can get them fairly cheaply from a garden centre or wilko's or a pound shop. here is a link with a bit of info on onion growing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/t ... ons1.shtml
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well my hens had to go. I've been more and more knackered and then last week got flu, been flattened ever since and couldnt cope with the hens or the Somme out the back. Husband too big to get through the door into the run (he buillt it and the door is about 3ft high lol) I couldnt manage out to feed them and so a family in the next village came with a trailer and took them plus the coop. I'm so sad because I loved having them but my legs have turned to soft wool and I cant cope at all.
Further to this, the back garden still hasnt got a single bloody thing in it, its either chucking it down wi rain or a force 9 gale - and BBC said snow tomorrow.I hereby admit that 2012 has got me beat :cry:
- just wait till 2013 though. I'll kick ass :twisted:
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

diamond lil wrote:Well my hens had to go. I've been more and more knackered and then last week got flu, been flattened ever since and couldnt cope with the hens or the Somme out the back. Husband too big to get through the door into the run (he buillt it and the door is about 3ft high lol) I couldnt manage out to feed them and so a family in the next village came with a trailer and took them plus the coop. I'm so sad because I loved having them but my legs have turned to soft wool and I cant cope at all.
Further to this, the back garden still hasnt got a single bloody thing in it, its either chucking it down wi rain or a force 9 gale - and BBC said snow tomorrow.I hereby admit that 2012 has got me beat :cry:
- just wait till 2013 though. I'll kick ass :twisted:
oh lil, thats a shame. Not easy this prepping stuff is it. I think people think that life will be so much easier if tshtf. It bloodly well won't be, it's hard work.

Planting wise - pretty sodding poor at the moment and the slugs are attacking with a vengence! If I was relying on the spring crop I would be rather hungry right now!
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Lil that sounds like a pretty horrible wee time - but if it makes you feel any better (probably not though) I'm near Glasgow and also getting hee haw done in the garden because of the weather - it's grotty / miserable and still frosting at night! Never mind - let's get the peas and beans in on a direct sow at the end of may and scrounge seedlings from anybody we can grab (I moan every year and it's always fine in the end).
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

The long summer days usually make up for the shorter season yes, hoping we can salvage summat by buying some plants but not if we don't get any sun or warmth. Now saying in the papers that winter is to last until mid June for goddsake :evil: