Knives, what's your choice?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
John1788

Re: Knives, what's your choice?

Post by John1788 »

Hi,I have the bear grylls ultimate survival knife made by Gerber and I gave to say for the £35 I paid it is spot on,would recommend to anyone wanting a knife plus Gerber give you a lifetime warranty.
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

Well, the A1 has arrived, very impressive. Not used yet but I think I will be very pleased . Far more solid than my Mora!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Remember,if it ain't sharp,its just...metal. As a butcher I have knives that look like Hell. You would cut yer throat lookin' at 'em!
My best knife is a cut- off steak knife with a Scandi grind (carbon). I have skinned God knows what with it!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

A knife, I think needs to be fit for purpose, hold an edge over time and not lose it rapidly and be comfortable for the user. It needs to be quality and not give blisters when being used over a long period and last without niks etc that become awkward for use, all, of course, Imho, opinions. A sak, a worker, a fine blade and an axe should suffice and obviously the one that is available when needed is the most important. :lol:
Titchtonka

Post by Titchtonka »

I dont have a particular knife that I would call my favourite,

I feel happy knowing I have many knives rather then one particular knife that I would be lost without if it went missing or got damaged, I have numerous swiss army knives, a small 2 inch baldeing folding knife that stays in my office draw and gets most of its use from cutting my tomatoes for lunch :-) a leatherman style gerber multi-tool and a buck 110.

I was lucky enough to purchase a ray mears knife a couple of years back after being on the waiting list for almost 5 years, But due to finances sold it for £500 (original purchase price £200) a decision that was definatly the right one (but will always regret a little bit as It was a lovely knife)

I will look to purchase a larger combat style knife later on when funds allow, Does anyone know what the laws are regarding these sorts of knives nowerdays, as I would not want to fall foul of any law's?
Moony

Post by Moony »

Titchtonka wrote:, Does anyone know what the laws are regarding these sorts of knives nowerdays, as I would not want to fall foul of any law's?
Basically anything over 3 inches in length is illegal to have outside your home, this includes your car. In theory there are exceptions if you can prove it is needed for work, but there have been numerous cases where people with 'genuine need' for such a knife have been arrested and charged...and the penalties for being caught are very harsh, expect jail time, not just a slap on the wrist. If it is over 3 inches, do not let it go past your own property boundries, it simply isn't worth it with the current legislation.

As you mention a 'combat knife' please note this is specifically banned under the Knives act 1997, anyone sells you a blade marketed as a combat knife is breaking the law, and you are for owning one, even on private property, the law does not recognise the need for a blade for fighting purposes at all.
I'm in Area 7 !
Triple_sod

Post by Triple_sod »

To be honest Moony I think you're laying it on a bit thick there mate,

In theory anyone caught with a blade over 3 inches is in a lot of trouble unless they can produce a good excuse.
In practice most policemen are perfectly aware these laws are designed for lads on council estates who wear tracksuits an talk lk dis...
They’ve a lot of digressions and chances are if you seem genuine, it’ll just be a slap on the wrist.

Besides when was the last time you got stopped and searched by the police?

End of the day you pays your money you takes your chance.
Moony

Post by Moony »

Tbh i've never been stopped and searched by the police Triple_sod. It is true that your chances of getting caught are low and it will depend if you live on a housing estate full of scrotes or out in the sticks to the police attitude if you are caught, however what I posted is the way the law stands currently. If you are caught with a knife over 3 inches it is up to you to prove that you have 'good reason' to have it, not up to the police to prove anything except you had it on you. As you say, you pay your money you take your choice, personally my lagouile with a 3 1/2 inch blade always stays at home now, I'll prefer to carry a leatherman with a 3" blade and feel I've got a better chance in court should I be unlucky enough to be passing a football ground or protest site and be stopped by some pissed off copper.

If said copper finds you with a 'combat' knife your chances of convincing any court you have 'good reason' to carry it are about 0 regardless of where you live as there is specfic legislation covering them over and above normal knife laws.

Edit: in case you are wondering what is/is not a 'combat' knife, you'll be comforted by the fact the the expert witnesses used in court on this point are the Met. Police themselves :D
I'm in Area 7 !
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I collect knives from my sensible J.Marttiini 4" rubber handles thing to croc dundee bowies, pagan athames, too many to get in to, and I do carry a victorinox pen knife aswell as a coleman tool in my beltbag.

I was thinking if you carry a survival/bushcraft/bowie type knife in your BOB, would it still be considered as an offensive weapon?

Obviously tucked away out of easy reach, I say this because I would like to carry one (a BOB that is), not always but when out on walks or other activities which take me a good distance from home or car, it is rare I would be more than 20 minutes walk from either, but in those cases the BOB would be a little less basic, actually come to think of it "get back home bag" may be a more appropriate term in my case.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Juvecu

Post by Juvecu »

I have French Opinel No. 8 that I bought before I got to my teens and that I still have. I love it, but I can't carry it in the UK (no trouble in the country I come from though.) This is my favourite knife and has been so since the day I bought it.

My 2nd favourite is an old Victorinox Spartan Swiss Army Knife. The blade is less than 3 inches long and non-locking. I carry it in my motorcycle top box or my rucksack when I'm on the mountain bike (I'm never far away from either of my bikes.) I nicked the Victorinox from my good lady, she got it from work as part of a "safety at work" campaign :D