Greenhouse as Woodstore?

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
hobo

Greenhouse as Woodstore?

Post by hobo »

Thinking of using a spare 6' X 4' placci greenhouse as a woodstore in the backyard. I have a couple of pallets to use as a base. I reckon it'll not only keep the wood dry but actively dry out any damp wood. Am I missing something blindingly obvious here or have I actually come up with a good idea?
preppingsu

Re: Greenhouse as Woodstore?

Post by preppingsu »

Good idea but you will need to keep the door open to allow air circulation otherwise it will be very humid and condensation will form and the wood will stay damp. Therefor it acts as a structure to keep the rain off.
dunley67

Post by dunley67 »

my mum has for years,crack on
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

preppingsu wrote:Good idea but you will need to keep the door open to allow air circulation otherwise it will be very humid and condensation will form and the wood will stay damp. Therefor it acts as a structure to keep the rain off.
I'll second that - I think the pallet base would be good 2 high if poss to offer further air circulation and if there were any further side vents in addition to the door then keep them permanently open. I think that if you ventilate properly then you're absolutely right and you will season the wood really effectively.
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

that is a great idea the only thing i would say is it's probably best to use a couple of breeze blocks instead of pallets as it will last longer and when the pallets sag it could put undue stress on the greenhouse and break the glass. good idea using a greenhouse for a wood store!

good luck
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

make sure you tie the structure and the covering down well, these things tend to take off in a strong wind, i know-ours did!! :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stack the wood outside on pallets,use a tarp/old planks etc to keep the rain off. Then use that valuable food growing area as it should be- a greenhouse.

Prepping double-bubble there,stored wood and lots of tomatoes/salad/cucumbers and then Winter salad etc. later.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Thanks all. I'd previously stacked the wood on pallets and covered with tarp - worked well but I want to use vertical space more as it's a small yard. Thanks for all your comments - I'm making a start now!
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

let us know how you get on!
hobo

Post by hobo »

Got the frame up and pallets down yesterday - it's slow going as I can only use one hand at the mo! Aim to put the cover on and start wood-piling this aft.