Vehicles, and Modifications

Logistics and Transport
Mr_Sea-Breeze

Re: Vehicles, and Modifications

Post by Mr_Sea-Breeze »

janso wrote: Its no coincidence that land rovers have been used by the British military for donkeys years because of there reliability.
As a cynic who has a limited understanding of military procurement I would suggest that the British military use Land Rover because it secures jobs in Solihull...

But, that said they do what it says on the tin and the Defender range are seasonably simple to keep running

MSB
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

hi
i've been looking at bov for a while now and im pretty sure of what im going to use.
it should be a toyota hilux or landrover defender (as i alrady have a defender for work im going with those for parts compatability) if you get a landrover (or any bov) keep it as stock as possible the only mods that i would make would be decent all rounder tyres, roof rack ,snorkel, high exaughst and anything that does not affect the running gear. if you get a landrover try and get one with a 200tdi they are the most reliable ones land rover ever shoehorned in. the 300tdi is prone to block weaknesess and the td5's are lets just say electricly free willed ;) .did i mention only get a diesel? diesels are much more versatile as they can run on mixtures of diesel and vegetable oil and even some petrol. although many modern diesels use multi-cycle ingection wich are unsutable for less than perfect fuel.

good luck and good prepping
lasttruebreed

Post by lasttruebreed »

Myself and the wife share a land rover discovery 92 model and the father in law has a land rover 110 defender 02 model. Both of which are well cared for and mechanicaly will run for years to come without any major work. Because of safety issues we don't have fuel stored, but both motors rarely sit under half tank which is enough to get to my bugout locations. Would love to get my hands on a double cab pickup style land rover instead of the discovery but don't think the wife will go for it.
John1788

Post by John1788 »

John1788 wrote:Hi,ive been looking at either the Ford Maverick or the Nissan Terrano as they seem ok and cheapish to buy now.Ideal if i can get a p/x swap for my car even if it means dropping down a few regs.
Ended up gettin a zafira,the insurance on 4x4's were double what I pay now :-(

Post by 90. »

Hi All, the best vehicle is the one you have and the one you know well enough to keep running.
many just cannot afford to keep a BOV on the drive just in case. odds are you will be away from home anyway in most shtf situations.
I have a landrover 90 as it works for me, Ive owned almost the entire range of LR vehicles & many other 4x4 makes, I have also driven many millitary soft skin vehicles from many different countries.

I use my LR for travelling, commuting etc, however I often see very badly equiped & repaired 4x4's, many people bolt stuff onto them with no thought nor understanding of the changes to the vehicles dynamics, and often the most important things like reliabillity and repairabillity are forgotten.

IMHO the LR 300tdi discovery is the best all-rounder for a family/bov followed by the pajero/shogun however I have seen both stuck in damp grass while I driven past in my corsa van. :lol:
both these vehicles are strong, safe & common enough for spares and won't raise attention in any surroundings.

one of the best mods to any vehicle is secure storage, preferably out of sight as boxes attract the curious.

regards