Clothes pegs

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Clothes pegs

Post by jansman »

Of all the gear we discuss here,I have never seen clothes pegs and a spare drying line crop up. I fetched in some washing yesterday and a couple of the pegs broke in my hand. No probs. we have some spare. Last week the line broke,with a FULL load of washing on it!!! :o no prob. We had a spare( but it did not re do the washing!)

Any of you folks carry these things?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Re: Clothes pegs

Post by diamond lil »

This is true - in all the dream scenarios of living in a tent in a wood, I have never seen anybody deal with the prob of washing .! I suppose people just drape them over a bush - but try that up here and sooner or later yer knickers are going to be in Norway :twisted:
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

jansman wrote:Any of you folks carry these things?
Yes
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

I try to have spare pegs but they always seem to get used. I need to get some and squirrel them away.
Moony

Post by Moony »

I used to keep pegs and spare line in my camping kit, but found that guy lines and safety pins from the first aid kit did the job and I carried them anyway. I don't carry any excess weight if I can help it - multi-use items are the way to go !
At home I have had one of those rotating washing line things sitting in a box since I moved in. It's simpler for me to dry stuff on the backs of chairs / radiators / bannisters, especially since I work long shifts and invariably it'd just rain after i get to work if I dried stuff outside !
I'm in Area 7 !
Malamute Mitch

Post by Malamute Mitch »

Obviously there is not a ‘one shoe fits all solution’ and one has to be clear what environment and situation is being mooted. ;)

For me in my current position, which I would class as being long term survival approx a year after a TEOTWAWKI scenario. Washing etc is as follows (from an earlier post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4110

"Well washing that really was a hard nut to crack especially in winter. :? What I came to realise was I had too drastically reduce the amount I had to wash and discipline myself and ration cloths combining this with getting the right cloths :D . This took time as I was on a tight budget, in winter it came down too wool, wool and more wool. Swanndri is excellent, shirts and smocks also really good quality wool socks along with ventile trousers The antibacterial properties of wool means you can wear it for several days without having wash them :shock: (and without being smelt three fields away) :D . I Actually wash smalls and socks in a pan on the wood stove, using a rolling pin then through a manual mangle. Big stuff, and after much experimentation gets washed in a 50lt aluminium ex beer barrel with top cut off over a msr xgk cooker and using an old fashioned ‘pusser’ I believe they are called, then onto a glass washboard with fairy bar soap, if necessary, then rinse and wring. :D "

As to pegs, they are amazingly easy to make from a piece of split hazel and bit of cord to stop stick splitting its full length. Washing line umm 'paracord' 8-)

However there are also so very good small light weight clips/available from sea to summit or similar product called hurricane pegs. I tend to use these food clipping up food bags etc rather than pegs but it solves the :D “knickers in Norway Problem”:o

In the camping/bug out deep into the woods phase, for me this would be first three months during a “die off period” its about clothing, wool and ventile. Along with camp discipline. Ie a small stream wash less than once a month. :shock:
Attachments
Sea to summit pegs
Sea to summit pegs
Photo-0171.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Totally agree re wool. Easy to wear and easy to dry, fabulous stuff for keeping warm.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

for wee items (like knickers) double the paracord and twist - secure like a "normal" washing line but keep twisted so that wee loops are formed. Now smalls and cloths / tea towels etc can be tucked into the loops to secure on the line - no pegs, no bother ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Good info there folks! Clean clothes matter. Otherwise we become savages.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I use one of these:

the 5 litre for trips and the 10 litre for static camps:

They can be used for clothes washing too :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.