What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
Ferricks

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Ferricks »

My focus this week has been on non food - so I've upped stocks on bin bags, caustic soda, gen hygeine items and ......erm, cream eggs..... :oops:

The plan for next week is to get some active work done to improve my organisation - it's not something that comes easily to me so I always have to focus on it specifically.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Ferricks wrote:My focus this week has been on non food - so I've upped stocks on bin bags, caustic soda, gen hygeine items and ......erm, cream eggs..... :oops:

The plan for next week is to get some active work done to improve my organisation - it's not something that comes easily to me so I always have to focus on it specifically.
Where have you been finding creme eggs? I love them and see comfort food as an essential prep :)
I need to work on organisation too. I might be increasing supplies, stores and kit, but that's no good if it's not in sensible places.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Approved Foods :D 10p a go :D along with the nit combs I mentioned at 3 for 99p .... AF are a seriously excellent source of cheap preps, but you have to check their stock regularly - a quick look right now and I can see 415g tins of butterbeans, 3 for 99p, 800g tins of tomato puree 3 for 99p, 1250g tins of broken grapefruit segments 2 for £1.20. Granose soup and mix broth, 4 x 500g, 99p total, Granose bulgur wheat the same, mcdougalls veg suet 3.5kg paper sack clearance price of £0.19.

Have to be careful tho - most of it is either approaching date or past date. And I had 3 x 415g kidney beans recently, and every tin was battered, had to use them immediately.

And I ate too many chocolate eggs.
Roopz

Post by Roopz »

Just re-stocked my First Aid kit and found an extra life-saver bottle at work which I have borrowed. :D Now looking for a decent set of motorola radios.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Le Mouse wrote: Where have you been finding creme eggs? I love them and see comfort food as an essential prep :)
I need to work on organisation too. I might be increasing supplies, stores and kit, but that's no good if it's not in sensible places.

As Arzosah says - approved foods and also Rosspa, which I find a bit better for cleaning stuff etc.

I find creme eggs a great comfort in the midst of economic turmoil...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Prep this week,sorting a holiday. So the stress in my life (work!) does not kill me before We use all those tins!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I was a skip surfer round here for a while last year, and I started again tonight:
- 2 - 3 square yards of doubled cardboard, to help me establish my veg bed for next year, without too much work. Grass *will* be dying underneath the cardboard Any Time Now.
- thinking about what somebody said about biohazard signs to discourage people attacking your house if TSHTF - in a much more minor situation, what do people thinking about police warning cones? I swear, there were two in the skip where I got the cardboard :o one has obviously been bashed in by a digger, but I took it anyway. I'd have to improvise stands!

I got started by chatting with a distant-ish neighbour working on his front border. His poppies are a beautiful colour, and I want the seeds too
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 23&t=20245 . Half a dozen seedheads drying now - they'd blown down, the seeds probably won't ripen, but he'll save me any future ones :)
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

108 bleach tablets arrived today....

Having now got 3m food, I'm aiming for 12m non food stocks so that I can tick an item completely off the list, diary a review date and forget about it.

moving on to tinfoil....
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

Arzosah wrote:- 2 - 3 square yards of doubled cardboard, to help me establish my veg bed for next year, without too much work. Grass *will* be dying underneath the cardboard Any Time Now.
I suggest getting stuck in now.

2-3 square yards (or even 10-20) is not very much area to hand clear. Dig it over now, leave it turf side down as far as possible. Then when we get a few dry days, get on your hands and knees and shake the chunks of turf while banging them with a garden fork. They will have dried quickly from the bottom, and you will easily remove the dirt from around the grass and weed roots. Once done, you can hit the intertubes, do some research, plant autumn overwintering crops and gain valuable experience as well as a food supply.

Think about why you are waiting - are you sure you are not just putting off a task you don't really want to do? The amount of work is about the same with live grass or dead grass (really).

There are many economic storm clouds on the horizon, and next year you may well wish you had got started this year.
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

Bought a Kotlich and tripod, useful enough now for barbeques etc, could come in very useful one day

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ne ... oq=Kotlich