Potato blight

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
hobo

Potato blight

Post by hobo »

Yes, all of them. Just spotted it. B***er. Now that is disappointing but at least I am able to stock up on fresh, tinned or Smash from the supermarket. In an uncertain future we could once again see this.....
BLIGHT & CROP FAILURE ACROSS EUROPE
1. Notably cold weather July to September. The summer of 1845 (June, July & August) had a mean CET=14.2degC, around a degree below the all-series mean. Specifically, August 1845 was over 2 degC colder than average. This summer was part of a run of poor such seasons from 1843 to 1845, with significantly below average temperatures using the CET series.
2. Persistent / often heavy rains over Ireland accompanied by depressed temperatures during the second half of the summer, precipitated the start of a great famine. The failure was caused by rotting of the potato (a staple food for poor families in the island) in the ground - the weather conditions (cold / damp) being ideal for spread of the spores which caused the Blight. By October of 1845, there had been a total collapse of the Irish potato source. The situation was made worse because of the failure of the corn harvest in Britain and western Europe, and the indifference of both the government in Westminster [ Ireland was at this time part of the United Kingdom ] & of the land-owners, many of whom were English, or Anglo-Irish.
http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1800_1849.htm

Hobo

Off to Aldi, they do big tins for 21p. Better take my trolley....
diamond lil

Re: Potato blight

Post by diamond lil »

Oh wow Hobo, that's a great site thanks! My mum was Irish and the history of the Famine is engraved on my brain, things lije that cannot be forgiven & forgotten easily. My potatoes are like triffids and its too wet to go up and look at them but I did wonder about blight.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Lil,

Triffids-like potatoes sound great!

Such a difference from last year, when I used organic seed potatoes and we had a better spring/summer. This year I used cheap shop-bought ones.....

Hobo
Triple_sod

Post by Triple_sod »

Ah just been down for a look at mine, seem alright but a few leaves look black round the edges hoping its just the other pests :?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hasn't the potato industry been breeding blight resistant strains so we will never have such a problem again?

The last seed potato I bought was marked as blight resistant.
maddriver

Post by maddriver »

There are indeed blight resistant varieties, but not all are.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Yes, and I'll be buying those next year rather than cr**py ones from Wilkos again! Serves me right. :(
jansman

Post by jansman »

The combination of wet and warm increases the chance of blight. My spuds have copped it,and so too, the outdoor tomatoes (same family).Blight resistant strains are just that,resistant, not blight-proof. It is a good job it is not a life or death crop though,and that thought is rather sobering.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

jansman wrote:....It is a good job it is not a life or death crop though,and that thought is rather sobering.
Aye, 'tis that.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

half of mine have it, but not the other half - it's just been so damn wet there's no avoiding it!

the pain is that now it's in the soil and increases the likelihood in subsequent years - very, very annoying now.

However - notably, the half of mine that don't have it are those I sprang real money for from the garden centre, while the infested half are some I got from an allotment neighbour who had spare they had got cheap.. worth noting!