Post by nickdutch »

Learning more about making alcohol for trade
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Ferricks

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by Ferricks »

We've started renovating the house to a layout that works better for storage / emergency situations. (you should've seen the architects' reaction to THAT brief.....). :P

We need cupboards desperately - and importantly we need them in certain places in the house. It's an old house and temperature fluctuations can be extreme, so it's important to get food storage areas in places where the temp can be constant(ish) and other storage in the places where that's less of an issue.

Even more than this we need heating and cooking sources that are off grid - so a couple of wood burning stoves should solve the immediate problem.

However, to do this, a lot of wall moving and complete ripping out of the original (semi-det) cottage and the extension has to go on - so ...one wall down, two more to go......

'will keep you posted..
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Ferricks wrote:We've started renovating the house to a layout that works better for storage / emergency situations.

However, to do this, a lot of wall moving and complete ripping out of the original (semi-det) cottage and the extension has to go on - so ...one wall down, two more to go......

'will keep you posted..

We need pics :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
wolfpup

Post by wolfpup »

On Saturday I finally managed to get a Bookers account ................ and went a little crazy I admit. However
24 loo rolls for £2.69 (bought 3 packs!= 72 loo rolls)
kitchen rolls 3 x 12 roll packs for £4.99 (bought 3 = 108 rolls)
6 x 1.24kg dog food tins for £3.45 total cost
5kg mild cheddar and 5kg of medium cheddar for waxing (it continues to mature with age)

catering sizes of:
Italian seasoning
Oregano
Mixed Herbs
Crushed Chillies
Chives
Basil x 2
Mixed spice
Turmeric
Sizes between 150g - 380g and for only averaging double what I pay for 19g in the supermarkets

1 x 2.5kg McDougalls Asparagus soup
1 x 2.5kg " Thick Veg soup
Both will be mylared up - although when in the hotel trade I was still using one two years outside the BB date with no problem. I have more tinned soups than Sainsbury - and am rapidly running out of space - which is why I was so desperate to get into Bookers to get hold of the catering sized dried soup mixes - as most of us know you can make a basic soup into a very healthy and filling meal with just a very few additional ingredients, or at the very least turn an otherwise meagre main meal in to a two course filling and satisfying meal.

60m tin foil for £2.55
300m cling film for £3.19

Also bought some air tight containers, new mixing bowl and new measuring jug together with some other items (catering sized coffee, more pasta etc)

One really good find was tinned spicy vegetable chilli 1.26kg tins - almost at their end date - normal price was £4.50 per tin .................. pointed it out to the manager and he reduced them to £1.89. Even the manager said that they would keep years beyond the end date and he knew he was giving good food away cheaply - but that was the law and he was bound by the dates ........ he smiled when I said I would take 4.

My MAJOR PREP NEWS however is not some additional stock - its an attitude change - from my OH.
He started out ridiculing my preps, then moaning, then digging at every opportunity, then just grumbling (usually about my sanity). However on Saturday when he was helping me unload the car and dump it in the kitchen he actually offered to take the heavier stuff upstairs for me (a first). When he came down he then said "why don't you buy some metal shelving in order to store your stuff - you've got that much now that it needs organizing properly" On Sunday he cleared out one of the sheds in order to get more storage space for me.

This is a major shift and a huge step forward for me as a prepper - my OH is slowly coming on board (or at the very least is more accepting) of my/our new lifestyle - and for the first time actually suggested spending money on something to help me (he works one day a week and we are both on pensions so money is very tight) - this trip to Bookers has cost me a visit to see my son - it was a choice I had to make - I could only do one financially). I believe however that it was this shopping trip - and the obvious savings I made that finally tipped the balance in my favour with my OH's view on prepping. For the first time I feel my way of life is accepted in my own house.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

wolfpup wrote:On Saturday I finally managed to get a Bookers account ...............

I need to get a wholesale account somehow. :)

Great news on getting the other half on your side too :D
wolfpup

Post by wolfpup »

There is an easy way - if you are prepared for a tiny bit of hassle.

Open up an on line business (ebay etc) open up a bank account in that business name. Once you have a statement from the bank and your bank card you can open an account with Bookers. It does not have to be a fully functioning business - just the bank is really sufficient to open the account.

I have been trying to get back in there since I sold my last hotel around 8 years ago (they will only deal with businesses) - and it was only last week I realized I DID have a business account - my jewellery eBay business. It does not matter WHAT the business is as long as it is a bona fide business. In fact I have not used the account for nearly 2 years (purposely) but kept the account open - I handed them a recent statement (still in the envelope) and the business bank card and this was enough.

My understanding is that Costco works differently - they basically will accept you if you work for a 'profession' (or are retired from one). As my son pointed out - if you have pots of money they will take you - but if you actually need the discounted prices - they don't want to know !

If you ever have to come up to Blackpool for anything give me a shout and I will take you round and you can load up your car.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Many thanks for the offer. :)

I'll try Costcos as well as I am a retired serviceman/ civil servant :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Costco isn't too hard either, is much the same as Bookers. If you have a business then they ask for two invoices in the business name, I think that's all I showed them. I never had a business bank acc so they cant have asked for that.
I was up there today getting more pasta - I could open a pasta shop now I think :mrgreen:
hobo

Post by hobo »

wolfpup wrote:My MAJOR PREP NEWS however is not some additional stock - its an attitude change - from my OH.
Wonderful!
wolfpup

Post by wolfpup »

Thanks Hobo - it will mean so much difference for me - I feel as if a weight has been lifted.