a little winter heating advice please

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: a little winter heating advice please

Post by diamond lil »

I'm in the border hills in the south east Blue, they're all bloody mad over in the west! :mrgreen:
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

diamond lil wrote:I'm in the border hills in the south east Blue, they're all bloody mad over in the west! :mrgreen:
I'm from the West - and I agree! We're all bonkers! ;)
blue3

Post by blue3 »

thanks d lil i wondered as i have lots of family up there on the east coast. haven't been up there for a few years though :( missing the munros.
Frufru

Post by Frufru »

My kitchen gets freezing in winter and I discovered how to make a little radiator for it :D

A few (I used about 4) tea lights under a large strong baking tray/roasting tin makes an awesome radiator that takes the chill off the air nicely!

Friends think I am a nut though :lol:
blue3

Post by blue3 »

sounds pretty good :) the theory's definatly there!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It also makes a usable emergency stove if you sling a kettle on top of a cooling rack on top of the tealights... :mrgreen:
Optimystic

Post by Optimystic »

blue3 wrote:this has been troubling me since last aug, which is when i moved into my current place is thats its only a small high up village in s wales is being able to heat or cook should tshtf or just a power cut damned electric cookers! sadly its a rental so i can't reopen the chimney. which is porous anyway. i do have a small chimenia but i can't bring it inside! plus it's quite a fuel hog. so i could cook outside but still no heat inside :s ideas? oh and the snow gets bad also so it's pretty high risk for me.

Have you looked up a rocket stove?.. very simple to build virtually smoke free but obv needs some ventilation.. There are some instruction vids on here somewhere

Also, heat just one room, get urself a decent sleeping bag, pitch a tent inside, even lighting a tealight will raise the temp by a couple of degrees in a smaller space.
jansman

Post by jansman »

You could buy a "Super Ser" type portable gas heater. These things are great. Very efficient. Ok so set up cost would be( with gas bottle) about 120 quid, but you pay as you go. Go on the Calor Gas website they will even deliver and sort out a regular gas delivery based on consumption, and these things are economical.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

just going to be grown up for a moment, PLEASE be very careful when using a gas appliance indoors. it is the co2 you need to be aware of get a few battery powered audible co2 moniters or at the very least open some windows. phew im glad thats over now i can go back to being :snigger: normal :lol: :lol: :lol:
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Co not co2. Carbon monoxide not carbon dioxide...there's a difference...

But yes, make sure you have adequate ventilation when using them...
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin