Disappointing Season

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Tocsin

Disappointing Season

Post by Tocsin »

So for not so good with the veg garden here in the Scottish Borders. Potatoes in pots (the black pots from supermarkets you get flowers in) have been okay, though nothing exiciting, everything else really disappointing. Started some peas in the greenhouse and planted them out a while back. I managed to get some crop but they're turning yellow and dying back already. The ones I planted out direct in the soil are about 6 inches tall and have stopped growing. Same with the beans. Carrots were new seed but didn't germinate, first year that's happened. Onion sets okay, although the red ones have had the stalks blown over with the wind. Garlic looks okay so far. Leeks have been planted out from the greenhouse, I'll see how they go, so far so good. As for tomatoes....I've got six plants in the greenhouse, three tomatoes between the lot, all green and look as if they're about to rot. I've had some strawberries, but not as good as last year, but the blackcurrents have been okay, looks like I'll have some blackcurrent wine again this year!! The lack of sun has really taken it's toll. If the s**t had really hit the fan and I was trying to seriously grow my own, I think I'd be really hungry this year. Never mind, varius folk have donated loads of rhubarb and there's six gallons of wine bubbling away ready to drown my sorrows!!!
diamond lil

Re: Disappointing Season

Post by diamond lil »

If this was 1812 instead of 2012 then it would be famine in Scotland that's for sure. :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just my thoughts, Lil. I really went for it this year, and had very mixed results. The perennials did great, and I shall expand on that next year. In fact, the permaculture system is gradually taking over all of the planting areas, and where food is concerned , reliability has to be key.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yes true - because all that did well for me was the green leafy stuff I planted for the chickens - but now we have no chickens I am picking and freezing it for adding to soup over the winter. It might taste hellish but we won't get scurvy :lol: So maybe stop trying to grow stuff that I want to, and start growing what the garden wants to instead. As long as its edible :mrgreen:
The-Great-Nothing

Disappointing Season

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi

How come you don't have chucks any more? I love the eggs & having them peck around - wouldn't be without some now :)

Cheers

Matt
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Tocsin I can completely relate - you're not alone! An update from the West of Scotland.....

My growing this year has been nothing short of a complete disaster - so far I've not got anything for eating other than a bit of salad and some rhubarb! Even the apple trees have about 6 apples between them and they're usually reliable! our carrots didn't germinate either..... very odd indeed.

I too am planning for more perennials - more rhubarb, extra currant bushes, jerusalem artichokes (not strictly perennial but try getting rid of them!).

not asparagus - I don't feel there's enough return for the space......

Any other suggestions before the catalogues talk me into things that will, in reality only grow in Dorset?
The-Great-Nothing

Disappointing Season

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Asparagus is very tasty and nice and early. I harvested first crop this year - after waiting 3. Delicious tho :)

Strawberries and raspberries offer good return with minimal effort.

How about hazel/Cobb nut bushes?

Cheers

Matt
TJCNI

Post by TJCNI »

My spuds were nearly the only thing to grow, everything else has died a death :cry:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Lil,you are dead right about letting the garden grow what it will let you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Same down here but the little darlings (slugs and snail) have had most of mine ended up slug pelleting everything managed to save two cabbages and brought in some half grown runner bean plants in the hope that we will get an Indan summer and I will get something. Did get a good crop of strawberrys but again had to fight of the little darlings for them currants were disapointing and all the apple, cherry and plum trees are doing bad. Talked to some of my neighbours and they are all complaining most of them are the old gents that have been growing for years and they are all saying what a bad year it has been for everyone. On a good note the wild strewberrys have started to crop and the little darlings don't seem to like them :lol: Oh and the asparagus peas are being left alone as well
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle