Under the floorboards

How are you preparing
Magenta16v

Under the floorboards

Post by Magenta16v »

My upstairs has no carpet but floorboards . Anybody stored cans like this before ?
We Must learn all the skills that we have Forgotten
tigs

Re: Under the floorboards

Post by tigs »

not personally but i have seen it done! you have to remember that heat rises and could effect the cans with temp fluctuation .
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Maddie_cat

Post by Maddie_cat »

Echo Tigs.

Two other thoughts

1. make sure the ceiling of the room below is sound enough to take the weight (don't want to be sitting watching Paranormal Witness and a baked bean tin falls on your head!)

2. make sure the floorboards don't bounce
I'm in Area 1
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Ceilings are designed to carry their own weight, plus a little leway, should you fill up a standard plasterboard ceiling with tin stuff you are taking a big risk, on the other hand if you batten alongside the joists and place wood between them, you can load it up to the max with little fear of collapse, it's long winded and work intenstive, but bear in mind the original idea could be a SHTF situation on it's own for you, it may work well for years, but then one stout bang on the floor above, someone falling over or out of bed for instance would probably bring the lot down and as it is generally in 8X4' sheets, you could be talking severve damage and injury. take care ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Yeah I wouldn't advise this for all the reasons already mentioned! Best place is behind the kickboards below your cupboards in your kitchen, as some of the preppers on this forum do if you want it hidden but accessable and out of the way.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Magenta16v

Post by Magenta16v »

Yeah , think I will scrub that idea
We Must learn all the skills that we have Forgotten
junmist

Post by junmist »

Maddie_cat wrote:Echo Tigs.

1. make sure the ceiling of the room below is sound enough to take the weight (don't want to be sitting watching Paranormal Witness and a baked bean tin falls on your head!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle