Visiting the USA

How are you preparing
Magenta16v

Visiting the USA

Post by Magenta16v »

Hope this is the correct section

I am off to Good Old New Orleans in March ... for what i hear is Preppering country. Been invited over by the local Police for a couple of events with the odd drink thrown in in between :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway , while i am there I am going to try and get some hard to get item ( if you know what I mean )
I am new to this ... so what do you think I should get.
I may send a big box back over then then get screwed over by the Airlines over weight charges

What shall I .. or what would you get
We Must learn all the skills that we have Forgotten
metatron

Re: Visiting the USA

Post by metatron »

If you want branded stuff from the likes of maxpedition and 5.11 its much cheaper there as they have lower sales tax and companies like to add 40 to 60% onto them here, same goes for knifes. Assisted opening knifes can be bought in gun shops just pack them in your suitcase. Other than that first aid stuff is cheaper get a gunshot wound first aid kit or two.
Magenta16v

Post by Magenta16v »

I know I will get a WaterBob ..... seems like a good thing to have to be honest
Moony

Post by Moony »

Certain other items like hand-mills for grain and 'canning' supplies, especially pressure canning stuff is easier, and presumably cheaper to buy over there too. All sorts I'd buy I think ! I'd fill a 20ft shipping container and send it back :lol:
I'm in Area 7 !
Glydr

Post by Glydr »

Guns
scoobie

Visiting the USA

Post by scoobie »

'tactical' stuff (max-ped & 5.11)
Gun parts - check local regs for export laws, I've got a friend bringing me back a bunch of stuff in a few weeks
First aid - quik clot or similar
Canning supplies
Knives - *so* much cheaper in USA
Radio gear - ensure correct uk frequency operation

Think that's about it! Above all, enjoy your time there :)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
In the Dark

Post by In the Dark »

+1 on a big pressure canner (get it on US ebay & have it delivered to where you're staying over there)
Crossbows & arrows =much cheaper (arrows $24 FOR 6 AT WALLMART)
grain mills
On gard door security stoppers (Id love at least 3 of them but they're too expensive to ship)
Outdoor gear ( cabellas , bass pro)
Camo spray paint colours at least half the price of over here (wallyworld again)
Boxes of clif bars & medicines not on sale over here eg antibiotic ointments (wallyworld)

You lucky swine I'm very jealous :) :twisted:
metatron

Post by metatron »

Shipping back big item like canning stuff is not worth it, international shipping rates from the US is massively expensive, when I go out there friends normally give me stuff (mostly small items) to ship from the UK to people in Au/Nz and Europe whatever you save will be spent on shipping. American firms are not trying to rip you off on shipping, they get a far better rate than you will, its just what it costs.

Its worth picking up a few pairs of 5.11 TacLite Pro Pant as they sell them for £25 there, their £44 here.
LennyJ1

Post by LennyJ1 »

I'm going to the states next year also. was think about sending back some mountain house meals.

What sort of gun parts can you send back?
Magenta16v

Post by Magenta16v »

Good news for me lol
My good friends in the sheriffs dept have hold me that anything i want they will get me at cost in the shops. Result .