new prepper question about stock rotation of tinns.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
SwimLikeaFish

new prepper question about stock rotation of tinns.

Post by SwimLikeaFish »

Please excuse my lack of knowledge as I'm brand new to prepping.

Among other things Im going to start storing tinned food, Meat, fish, chili, stews, curry's, soups, fruit, veg, beans etc. Ive been looking at best before dates and have realised that an initall scout round mylocal supermarket the tins have only about a 1-2yr max best before date. I keep coming across the eat what you store and store what you eat statement. So If I did gradually build up a yr or 2yr supply, at some point I'm going to have to start eating them all and replacing them as and when needed. My concern is that I could end up living off tinned food pretty much all the time. Have any long established preppers found themselves in this senario ?
preppingsu

Re: new prepper question about stock rotation of tinns.

Post by preppingsu »

I think the key here is to use these cans as part of your everyday (if possible). I tend to, every now and again, use tinned veg instead of fresh or frozen. Beans/tinned spaghetti are often used as they are a stable food of my childrens!!!!!!! Same with tinned fish (OH). I'll just factor in getting it used then thats my rotation.

Some people have a week whereby they only eat from their store, this helps with rotating.

Haven't yet got to the point where the tins are going out of date!! ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Then you get like me , all tinned up and no blood pressure to go! :D joking aside. Tins are good. However, I store a lot of pasta and rice. I grow a lot of food, veg , eggs and meat( rabbit and goat).tins are GREAT. Ultimate stores. But you have to like what you store. Otherwise you are wasting time and cash.look at what you ACTUALLY eat. Then store food.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
tigs

Post by tigs »

tinned foods can last up to 50 years but it is a good idea to keep them as close to there used by date as possible
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Glydr

Post by Glydr »

Remember also that there is a difference between, "USE BY" and "BEST BEFORE", food past it's USE BY date is probably, no good, food past it's "BEST BEFORE" date is still ok, just not at it's tastiest.
the7ps

Post by the7ps »

Also, have a good look around. Lidl have got quite a lot of stuff which has a long date; fish, veg, chilli beans etc that are 'best before' late 2015.

Sardines in a mustard sauce - heaven!!! :D
the7ps

Post by the7ps »

Been back in Lidl today;
Sardines - December 2016
Sweet corn - February 2016
Tinned ravioli - July 2016

Then, best before 2015:
Tomatoes, sauerkraut, pasta in sauces and peas.

And, finally, 2014:
Peanuts, chocolate, coffee and oil.

Hope this helps?
G.B

Post by G.B »

We eat from the stores on the last week of the month when money is always tight. Thrifty cooking such as Pineapple upside down cake, carrot oatcakes, pea and ham soup(from tins) Pasta and rice dishes add to this a bit of veg from the garden and some fish/game supplied by myself makes for a cheap week and the stock gets turned over.
Anything that is going out of date that I know I cant use up I bring to my local food charity organization (patch) a couple weeks before the date is out. This way I do my bit for local charity and nothing gets wasted.