Small square cooking pot to accompany my hexamine stove?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Attack Warning Red

Re: Small square cooking pot to accompany my hexamine stove?

Post by Attack Warning Red »

Reservoir - thanks. I'd never heard of Dutch army mugs. They do look very similar to the Crusader cup. I have a few 'normal' tin/camping mugs already, although they'd get very sooty if I used them on the hexi. I also have a mess tin for it.

Last year I tried it all out and cooked a tin of 'all day breakfast' on it. Very tasty... :D
tigs

Post by tigs »

the dutch army cup , Crusader cup and US army canteen cup are all the NATO 58 pattern water bottle cup
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Reservior

Post by Reservior »

Attack Warning Red wrote:Reservoir - thanks. I'd never heard of Dutch army mugs. They do look very similar to the Crusader cup. I have a few 'normal' tin/camping mugs already, although they'd get very sooty if I used them on the hexi. I also have a mess tin for it.

Last year I tried it all out and cooked a tin of 'all day breakfast' on it. Very tasty... :D
They are a similar shape but smaller, cheaper too!
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

everyday-carry wrote:hi all,

I'm looking for a .
Ever noticed how the folding hexamine stove is nice and compact, but no-one has come up with a matching size pot to cook with it?

I was thinking about a tobacco tin, but suspect it might be slightly too small.

Does anyone have any suggestions for square shaped metal pot that can be used with a hexamine stove that I can buy/make?

If I can't find it, I'll look into making something like this, possibly the same size, ideally the folded stove could fit inside the square container to save room.

EDC
Purchased a Trangia mess tin complete with lid (3.5x6inch approx). Fits on the Large and small Esbit stoves nicely, and holds a decend brew kit. Found mine on Amazon. I'll post a pic when I figure out how.
Trangia mess tin with small esbit stove
Trangia mess tin with small esbit stove
500x333.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Area 12 - South Wales
'Hope for the best, plan for the worst'
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

Another few pics of the Trangia mess tin with the small Esbit stove and brew kit inside.
500x333(2).jpg
500x333(2).jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Area 12 - South Wales
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

500x333(3).jpg
500x333(3).jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Tin, small Esbit stove, and brew kit. The tin will hold approx 0.7l of water.
Area 12 - South Wales
The Newbie Prepper

Post by The Newbie Prepper »

As it has already been pointed out British Army mess tins. They come in sets of two with one slightly larger than the other so they all fit into one neat package. The hexie cooker will fit nicely into the mess tins with room inside for a meal from the ration pack and an all important brew kit. The only problem is you sometimes get a slight rattle as the two mess tins bash against each other but this is easily solved with a small peice of cloth which can double up to clean the mess tins. Hope this helps a little :D
madgaz

Re: Re: Small square cooking pot to accompany my hexamine st

Post by madgaz »

Reservior wrote:Some of the later issued hexi stoves have an extra plate (I think) which sits on the stove and has a cut out for the base of a Crusader Cup.
They certainly do.
I use my metal crusader/'58 pattern to heat rat pack meals in, and then use the water for a brew.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Pi55 Poor Performance.
Two is one, one is none.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Madgaz, Area8. Message me?
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Attack Warning Red wrote:Reservoir - thanks. I'd never heard of Dutch army mugs. They do look very similar to the Crusader cup. I have a few 'normal' tin/camping mugs already, although they'd get very sooty if I used them on the hexi. I also have a mess tin for it.

If you have sooty tins use the teabag you have just used to make a brew with to clean the soot off the tins - works a treat.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Steve C wrote:If you have sooty tins use the teabag you have just used to make a brew with to clean the soot off the tins - works a treat.
I used to use a small amount of liquid soap on the tin before cooking, just smear it all over the base and sides and it washes off really easy :mrgreen: I can then use the tea bag for another brew later :D
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.