Long term egg storage

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
gadgetguy

Long term egg storage

Post by gadgetguy »

I have seen a few videos on coating your eggs in mineral oil for storage up to 9 months does anyone here do this? Also you are meant to use mineral oil is this the same a baby oil?? Sorry for being thick :oops: does anyone have any tips or pointers?
Moony

Re: Long term egg storage

Post by Moony »

I'm in Area 7 !
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Cheers Moony
hillingdonpete

Post by hillingdonpete »

when the yanks say mineral oil, our equivilent is liquid paraffin
you can still get it from chemists otherwise a good pet shop just get one that has "B.P" on the label, thats human and pharmaceutical grade
Quod in omni vita facimus in aeternum resonat
jansman

Post by jansman »

My hens supply us with far more than we need. I pickle mine.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

its was on nat geo , they coated theirs with peanut oil .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Lelandsdad1

Post by Lelandsdad1 »

jansman wrote:My hens supply us with far more than we need. I pickle mine.
How long can pickled eggs last if unopened?
Annana

Post by Annana »

In the UK they used to coat the eggs with butter to preserve them. Apparently it also gives the eggs a nice buttery flavour as well.
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Interestingly, a friend of mine told me that eggs only go off when the yolk settles and touches the shell. If you turn them upside down every few days they can remain edible for well over a month. Never tried it, I get through eggs too quickly. Anyway, this friend has done a couple of circumnavigations under sail and it worked for her!

Another sailor's tip to get your daily Vitamin supply - grow water cress. Water cress is the simplest thing to grow, tastes great and, as every school child knows, can be grown in a tin on a window ledge, anywhere.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Brunel wrote:Interestingly, a friend of mine told me that eggs only go off when the yolk settles and touches the shell. If you turn them upside down every few days they can remain edible for well over a month. Never tried it, I get through eggs too quickly. Anyway, this friend has done a couple of circumnavigations under sail and it worked for her!

Another sailor's tip to get your daily Vitamin supply - grow water cress. Water cress is the simplest thing to grow, tastes great and, as every school child knows, can be grown in a tin on a window ledge, anywhere.
Our eggs stay well edible for over 6 weeks when stored in a cool dark place, In supermarket terms an egg is still fresh at 28 days

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... anguage=EN
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.