Exercise

How are you preparing
rowanred

Re: Exercise

Post by rowanred »

Janash37 wrote:I regularly go to the gym and lift weights, mostly because I am slightly vain thanks to images of muscle-bound celebs, but more and more nowadays it is because I see the connection to my preps and the advantages of being able to hulk weight around if the situation requires.

Admittedly my cardio is suffering and could really do with a boost, which is why it has become my resolution for the new year to get on top of that!

I've met a lot of people talking about how they plan on bugging out or making some kind of home for themselves in the urban jungle once society collapses, yet they can't even lift the weight of their own body, let alone that plus any equipment they'll be carrying, which is kind of important if that's the kind of thing you're prepping for.

I'm just wondering how many of you do something similar and/or consider it an important part of your prepping plans and why?
I do consider health and fitness an important part of being prepared, not necessarily just from the 'bugging out' perspective that you mentioned, but there are different types of fantasist out there and I don't think it is healthy to get overly carried away. The guy who is constantly on high alert for WW3 and spends half of his life training boot camp style for hand to hand combat and samurai warfare is probably going to give up 'prepping' after a few years when the impending end of world scenario he is getting ready for does not emerge. At the other end of the spectrum the guy with couch potato syndrome is going to wish he were dead as soon as a fairly minor hiccup such as a job loss comes along and after years of sitting on his chair in the office he suddenly has to take a job that involves manual labour. I suppose what I am saying is that mental health and keeping a good grasp on reality is perhaps even more important when it comes to making preparedness a way of life for the long term. What is achievable for one person may be unachievable for another. If you get the balance right you will do what it takes to get physically up to scratch for the most likely scenarios that you might face and if there is some reason why you can't do that such as a disability then you will take your weaknesses carefully into account and make the plans and decisions that offer you the best chance of getting through a crisis unscathed. Everyone is different and I think it is important not to place unrealistic expectations upon yourself.

Personally, I don't do anything that I wouldn't normally be doing anyway in order to stay in shape. I am lucky to have my health and my day to day activities keep me fitter than most. Admittedly, I am not 'fighting fit' anymore but then I'm not 19 anymore either. Considering wear and tear I'm probably as fit as I'll ever be at this point in my life. I'd like to think that any fitness I've lost due to injury and age has been made up for in wisdom and experience :lol:
NorthernWoody

Post by NorthernWoody »

Yes I have come around to the idea of the fitter I can get myself, the better. I have lost 5 stone this year and want to get back to - or as close to my fitness level on joining the police many moons ago (that's not my job now - it's now running after the ankle snappers!).

So in 2013, I have challenged myself to swim 2013 lengths of my local pool with a combination of running/walking/cycling 2013 miles. It works out to be about 39 lengths/miles a week which I am confident I can achieve - I walk 25 miles a week with the dog alone so fingers crossed!!
Area 10
jansman

Post by jansman »

I did "The Gym" back in my Navy days. It is so damn boring! I am pushing 50 now, and still cycle 150 miles a week, hump heaven knows how much weight everyday at work. I eat well, do not smoke(never have) and drink too much. Still as fit as a butchers dog-and twice as randy!!! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
John1788

Post by John1788 »

Being a postie get plenty of exercise walking up to 10 miles a day with a fairly decent weight on my shoulders / back but think most people fit or not will run on adrenalin the first few days in a shtf situation then be useless for days and walking like zombies Lol. :D
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Even the thought of gym work makes me sweat these days, does that not count as it certainly gets my heart rate up :roll:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

ive been reinspired by this site actually and have got self back to the pool and have increased the outdoor activities a great deal.

utilising local woodland and also the grand union canal is great for walking along and learning new stuff as im going

planning to head to the Malverns for a days hiking thursday, and will head back in to the gym as the weather turns nastier. (thatll be sooner rather than later then)

i can really see the benefit to myself and my work when im feelng healthier and exercising on a regular basis.
Plantiejo

Post by Plantiejo »

Great thread.
I used to run cross-country at school. But these days I skip every day for my main exercise. Yes SKIP! :D It is more difficult than it looks and really gets things working. It does not take long, I can do it anywhere and it is cheap on equipment.
So along with skipping and outside work in my growing areas I get a reasonable workout each day.
Everyone has skills...share your skills....keep them alive. :)

AREA 1
survival chic

Post by survival chic »

I am a form believer that the fitter i am the better i will survive in a shtf event. So my goal this year is to get fit and be able to walk or even run 20 miles that is my aim as my greatest fear is i am stuck far from my home / bug in location and cause i am overweight (small bit) and not fit anymore i won't be able to get home physically but not only that we will need muscles to chop wood, dig up veg and other physically jobs in shft situation. That is way i think being fit will help.
redskies

Post by redskies »

I was really fit before we moved here and I stopped having to walk 40 miles a week. That will change in March, as I'll be moving my base of operations away from my desk and into a visitors centre at a tourist attraction about two miles away. I'll be walking there and back (I'm ignoring the arthritic hip!) every day with one of the dogs. We'll also be doing the gardening thing, which will, I hope, help.

I can still run down my kids, so I can't be that unfit!
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

I generally walk about 12 miles a day and often with a 20lb pack of sand - keeps the abs and legs toned. I did a 12 mile Commando course across Dartmoor a couple of years ago with 70lbs in less than 4hrs 30 - killed my knee but hey, peer pressure!