Post by 12mp82 »

The suggestion to that other post was based on your comment
however uk wise you just can't get them
Which I hope you will now see isn't the actual case :mrgreen:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

gandelff99

Re: Crossbow. Is it really necessary?

Post by gandelff99 »

Well its not like they just hand them out is it? Firearms /shotguns etc.
A crossbow is much readily available. Wouldn't you agree.
I could apply for a shotgun certificate, purchase and fit my gun cabinet ,send the applicationoff with me 50 quid cheque and despite no criminal. Convictions or history of mental illness could still be refused
The fire arms officer for the area comes to chat to you,visit your home,geese,he'd look at the prepping gear and strike me off straight away.
Sorry to add, yes I see I should off added that you can get hold of them but its not easy too. :oops:
StandFIRM28

Post by StandFIRM28 »

Dear preps,

A crossbow is for 3 things IMO.

1. Bowi'n game and anything with a protein source.

2. Threatening intruders (with catch on of course)

and 3. IN EXTREAME SOCIAL BREAKDOWN SENARIO)...... (Controversial but with no hesitation) = Bowing anyone who wants to rob/pillage, enter or do me and my family harm.

Yes 3 is illegal and I don't advocate this, nor am I intending to do so in a law abiding situation, BUT if the Shi* hits the fan and collapse occurs there aint gonna be no plod about, no Army as we aint got none nowadys, there off squirrelling some natural resources somewhere far far away. Come to think of it, in extreme cases no courts either. Break with status quo...Yes.....But jus expressing free speech.

Be legal and dead, or break with bill and live. I choose latter. No haters please I reckon most own for this reason.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

gandelff99 wrote:Well its not like they just hand them out is it? Firearms /shotguns etc.
A crossbow is much readily available. Wouldn't you agree.

I could apply for a shotgun certificate, purchase and fit my gun cabinet ,send the applicationoff with me 50 quid cheque and despite no criminal. Convictions or history of mental illness could still be refused

The fire arms officer for the area comes to chat to you,visit your home,geese,he'd look at the prepping gear and strike me off straight away.
Sorry to add, yes I see I should off added that you can get hold of them but its not easy too. :oops:
You probably wouldn't see the firearms officer, more likely a CSO or possibly a special, maybe the beat bobby.

If you have no problems they are not in the position to refuse for no reason, they have to give a valid reason.

They will make an appointment to have a chat and to see the cabinet, not the rest of the house.

Easy peasy 8-)

Yes, Xbows and a lot of other things are available easily, but until TSHTF you can only use most of them legally for target practice otherwise you probably wouldn't get a permit, with a shotgun you can use them on the real thing ;)

gandelff99

Post by gandelff99 »

Lol,don't think I've seen a beat bobby round here in a long time.
:)
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

gandelff99 wrote:Lol,don't think I've seen a beat bobby round here in a long time.
:)
No, nor me, but they are around, might be called neighbourhood police though :lol:

gandelff99

Post by gandelff99 »

Will bear in mind shotgun though ,but for now I have what's needed and will keep eyes peeled on current climates
cheshirekat

Post by cheshirekat »

I've not got a great budget for a xbow but have seen them from £30 to £50 for an 80lbs draw (pistol style). are these powerful enough for hunting? I saw this one for £50 http://www.hunters-knives.co.uk/80lb-al ... istol.html
gandelff99

Post by gandelff99 »

It all depends on what you want to do with it c.kat
What will it be its primary purpose?You have to ask yourself .
If its too hunt then will it be be enough to kill a animal and if so at what distance?and what size animal will it kill?
I don't know to be honest about the one you've
mentioned, hopefully one of the others have got one or something similar and couldlet you know.
My xbows are more powerful so I know what there limitations are
:D
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

cheshirekat wrote:I've not got a great budget for a xbow but have seen them from £30 to £50 for an 80lbs draw (pistol style). are these powerful enough for hunting? I saw this one for £50 http://www.hunters-knives.co.uk/80lb-al ... istol.html
No they aren't unless you intend to hit the prey with it on the head. :lol:

Infact it is illegal currently to hunt with any sort of bow in the UK.

StandFIRM28 wrote:A crossbow is for 3 things IMO.

1. Bowi'n game and anything with a protein source.

2. Threatening intruders (with catch on of course)

and 3. IN EXTREAME SOCIAL BREAKDOWN SENARIO)...... (Controversial but with no hesitation) = Bowing anyone who wants to rob/pillage, enter or do me and my family harm.

Yes 3 is illegal and I don't advocate this, nor am I intending to do so in a law abiding situation, BUT if the Shi* hits the fan and collapse occurs there aint gonna be no plod about, no Army as we aint got none nowadys, there off squirrelling some natural resources somewhere far far away. Come to think of it, in extreme cases no courts either. Break with status quo...Yes.....But jus expressing free speech.

Be legal and dead, or break with bill and live. I choose latter. No haters please I reckon most own for this reason.
At least two of the three are currently illegal and it would have to be a very serious breakdown for either of them to become legal, strangely some people have them for sporting fun, static target shooting or field target practice much the same as with normal bows.

I don't think anyone will be haters towards you, but I think you need to look seriously at other reasons for having a X bow apart from the three you have mentioned above, I am surprised it got through the post approval system in place to be honest. :shock: