bug out ,bug in

How are you preparing
cheshirekat

Re: bug out ,bug in

Post by cheshirekat »

I'm bugging in although I have looked at the surrounding areas for bugging out and it seems like North Wales or somewhere in Cheshire are likely BO destinations. If it went totally mad then I could see roads being the worst place to be as clever gangs could easily ambush any vehicles trying to make a run for it with their stash on board.

It all depends what SHTF senario happens as no-one really knows what is going to happen and how people are going to react. I see people banding together and I've already started thinking of collective defence measures where I live. There are some handy guys just in my street and I'm sure with a bit of organisation and some home made 'tools' we could fight off anyone who wants to come and try it on.

Personally I think we face two things (economic collapse & adverse weather conditions) which combined will have a dramatic effect on population levels. Those close to starvation will not have the strength to fight and will probably die off anyway. Yes they will be a threat initially but I can see them turning on each other first. So I intend on staying put, banding together with neighbours and making the best of whatever situation we face. Hopefully the infastructure will pick up and a simpler way of life will have to be lived. Those with skills, water supplies and a means of growing or hunting food will inherit the earth.
tacticalprepper

Post by tacticalprepper »

I think everyone's main option would be to bug in, myself included. Truth is, we as humans are terratorial. We feel much safer in our 'own' area then venturing out into others. But I think the best idea is to prep for both. I have my 72 hour kit in the car at all times. Sure, its only three days worth but at least I'll have a bit of time to decide what the best course of action is.

And there's also the thought, whats wrong with returning home? Lets take this to the extreme, there's a zombie attack right, and you decide as the best course of action for you and your family to avoid contamination you bug out. Now suppose everyone is doing the same thing? Now your in the same situation, but instead of being in houses - your now in a field. So you go back? Yea, probably would be dangerous but if everyone else is still in the field then why not?
The whole scenario is admittedly far-fetched, but you get the point.

To round things up, my main intention is to bug in. But if I need to bug out, everything is already in place and while I'm writing this to you guys right now, at a moments notice I could be out of here in under 30 seconds. Depends on the situation and the multitude of different variables involved :)
AREA 3
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

The possibility is there, but the probability isn't, most likely scenario causing a bug out in the majority of cases is going to be a few hours of local disruption, yes there will be other less frequent cases where it might extend to a few days and in extreme cases a few months.

A few hours might be a neighbourhood incident, large fire with thick black smoke drifting across your area or perhaps a chemical fire.

A few days might be something like a gas explosion in a nearby property which has caused some localised damage that needs repairing.

A few months might be a flooded out or fire damaged house where it is going to need major works carried out to make it habitable again.

All of these is not going to be a case where you can't go back, at some point.

If these above were the cause then a few nights away with family and friends, or at worst a temporary home or hotel paid for by insurance company is the most likely outcome.

A lot of other scenarios are pretty much a result of over active imagination IMO ;)
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

tacticalprepper

Post by tacticalprepper »

12mp82 wrote:The possibility is there, but the probability isn't, most likely scenario causing a bug out in the majority of cases is going to be a few hours of local disruption, yes there will be other less frequent cases where it might extend to a few days and in extreme cases a few months.

A few hours might be a neighbourhood incident, large fire with thick black smoke drifting across your area or perhaps a chemical fire.

A few days might be something like a gas explosion in a nearby property which has caused some localised damage that needs repairing.

A few months might be a flooded out or fire damaged house where it is going to need major works carried out to make it habitable again.

All of these is not going to be a case where you can't go back, at some point.

If these above were the cause then a few nights away with family and friends, or at worst a temporary home or hotel paid for by insurance company is the most likely outcome.

A lot of other scenarios are pretty much a result of over active imagination IMO ;)
I have to agree with you 12mp82! I think there aren't a lot of situation whereby running for the trees is a good course of action. But having a good 72 hour hit (or BOB if you like) and copies of insurance documents, your pretty much set.
I think you've got a much more realistic opinion, lets face it, if there where zombies I would probably give up in all honesty :lol:
AREA 3
justsurviving

Post by justsurviving »

A lot of insurance co. Won't pay out for civil disturbances it's always worth checking.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Bug in for the reasons most have given here, I also have a stream at the bottom of the garden , a river nearby, I do keep a BOB but that is for fire ,flood etc where you cant remain in the home.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

justsurviving wrote:A lot of insurance co. Won't pay out for civil disturbances it's always worth checking.
Aviva's standard home insurance policy does cover it

http://www.aviva.co.uk/library/pdfs/home/NHDHG6080.pdf

Page 9
The Buildings
We will provide cover for loss of or damage to
the buildings caused by any of the following:

1. a. Fire, explosion, lightning or earthquake.
b. Smoke.

2. Storm or Flood.

3. a. Riot, civil unrest, strikes, or labour or
political disturbances.
b. Malicious people or vandals.
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

outside m25

Post by outside m25 »

Bug in for me! I think in the UK getting in a big 4wd and driving off into the sunset will have you at the sea in half an hour. Or treading on someone elses toes. Perhaps keeping a full tank of fuel in the car so you can round up friends/family if something goes wrong is a sensible move. Also you. could use the fuel in exchange or to run a stove :)
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

Bug in for me, the other half has problems walking any great distance though when push comes to shove it may well be different, the food stocks are growing steadily along with the water and other stores. Another reason for staying is it will be an absolute nightmare to move around the south east if there is a major problem, and if it happens in the winter we will have no chance. We do have 72 hour bags and the car is stocked, fuel and ready to go, in case we have to move quickly, the major problem would be spare cash in case the ATM's are closed off.

arnieh