What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by nickdutch »

st3vi3 wrote:this week i am going to try to dry food like fruit in the oven to see if it works. someone on here sent me a link to this so worth a try me thinks. just filled my wood store again to the top and got a large amount of turf in, shall be warm :D gonna try make a stove from couple tins just cuz im bored today. still need a trip to belfast to add more food. car MoT id due to (puke)
I still haven't tried using an oven as a large volume dehydrator as of yet. Do let us know how it works.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yesterday, I chucked some freshly fallen snow into a plastic bucket and brought it into the house, to see what water I got, how long it took to melt - I kind of tamped it down, because the bucket got full really quickly, and that bit *still* hasn't melted, after maybe 18 hours of being in the house! I had some vague idea of placing the water butts in their correct position finally, and starting to fill them with melted snow (I'm on a water meter :lol: ) but I'm *extremely* doubtful about that now - the snow has melted to form not much more than a puddle, there's astonishingly little in that there bucket :ugeek:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote:Yesterday, I chucked some freshly fallen snow into a plastic bucket and brought it into the house, to see what water I got, how long it took to melt - I kind of tamped it down, because the bucket got full really quickly, and that bit *still* hasn't melted, after maybe 18 hours of being in the house! I had some vague idea of placing the water butts in their correct position finally, and starting to fill them with melted snow (I'm on a water meter :lol: ) but I'm *extremely* doubtful about that now - the snow has melted to form not much more than a puddle, there's astonishingly little in that there bucket :ugeek:
Unfortunately snow has a lot of volume.

The trick to melting snow is to ensure you have some water at the bottom of the pan to heat up first, this in turn, melts the snow.

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
st3vi3

Post by st3vi3 »

Yea ill let ya knoe how I get on :)

Melt ice there more water in that than snow... But every little helps I guess
dazz675

Post by dazz675 »

took the wait of my shelving by going through my tins of salmon(Dad gives me a tin every week) bought a 6 litre storage box from wilkies and stored what i could in shoe boxes .... found 10 tins of salmon run out this year , moved to my regular weekly cupboard, the rest sorted into boxes with year marked on......very exciting day off
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

To day I finally got round to sorting out more storage for our ever increasing collection of tinned food, I opened up the plinths under the kitchen base units with view to using this space and by doing so I have found a very useful void behind two of the cupboards I just have to alter the back panels and install some shelving. Looking around the main bedroom I found yet more storage under our two chests of draws, a good days work I am well pleased.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Pseudonym, good point - I put more snow in there this morning :o I think in general I'm realising I've stockpiled food, but I *really* need to move on to other areas where my preps are extremely rudimentary :(
Technik

Post by Technik »

cavealaska wrote:I've just bought 15kg of soya mince for £35 including postage, a massive saving depending what brand you would but from a super market it's between 50 to over £100, some will be used and some will be stored in Mylar bags
May I ask where did you order it from and how long do you think it will store? Does it have to be kept in the freezer?
mogs

Post by mogs »

Today my new shelves arrived so as soon as got home from work I built them, put them in place and put some of my preps on them! they are looking rather bare but will soon be filled! So happy with them, absoloute bargain....only £60 ish for the two and they are very sturdy and strong :D :D :D :D
shelf2.jpg
shelf2.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 950 times
shelf.jpg
shelf.jpg (2.8 KiB) Viewed 950 times
shelf1.jpg
shelf1.jpg (5.72 KiB) Viewed 950 times
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

mogs wrote:Today my new shelves arrived so as soon as got home from work I built them, put them in place and put some of my preps on them! they are looking rather bare but will soon be filled! So happy with them, absoloute bargain....only £60 ish for the two and they are very sturdy and strong :D :D :D :D
ooooo shiny :mrgreen:

Feels great doesn't it? Just having designated areas for your preps :lol:

Don't worry, it won't take long for them to be filled.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.