berkley water filter question

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

my question is that the Berkley water filter can render pond water fit to drink but can't remove lime scale does anyone know the science behind this.
harlowmaverick

Re: berkley water filter question

Post by harlowmaverick »

Strange isn't it
TorNicho

Post by TorNicho »

it could be to do with the size of the filtration 'holes'. The lime-scale is a molecule where as microbes are much larger.
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

thanks for that info sounds like it could be the reason.
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Thats really bad news for me, was selling the other half on getting a Berkey because shes sick of the limescale in the kettle. :(
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

TorNicho wrote:it could be to do with the size of the filtration 'holes'. The lime-scale is a molecule where as microbes are much larger.
that is part of the reason.

the filters also are anti microbial.. also lime scale is a chemical reaction and therefore harder to stop
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..
The-Great-Nothing

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi.

My girls friend put what looks like a metal scourer into her kettle. Worked a treat for stopping scale forming. Much to my surprise.

It was really scaled. So she used a chemical cleaner & it came up as new - then added these stainless scourer things & not had problem since.

Search for kettle descaler on amazon for all you need :)

Do it at the same time you get the berkey & she'll never know!!

Cheers

Matt
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Thanks TGN picked up one of those for the kettle.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Technik

Post by Technik »

That's the first time I hear that Berkely doesn't remove limescale - exactly which filter are we talking about? Because there are a few out there under similar name.
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Technik wrote:That's the first time I hear that Berkely doesn't remove limescale - exactly which filter are we talking about? Because there are a few out there under similar name.
Taken from here http://www.faireyceramics.com/frequentl ... ns/#will10
Q10) Will my Doulton® or British Berkefeld® filter element remove hardness?

A10) Unfortunately filtration does not remove hardness from water so Doulton® or British Berkefeld® filter elements will not affect the hardness in drinking water. Hardness can be removed by water softening, deionisation or magnetic and electrical conditioning devices.