2 answers combined to make AA/AAA charger for all occasions

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
piglet

2 answers combined to make AA/AAA charger for all occasions

Post by piglet »

:idea:
Both these questions were asked in Equipment originally.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6431

bigstan wrote:
bigstan wrote:Hi Folks has anyone got or no anything about the solar battery chargers for AA and AAA battery as i am thinking of getting one for myself
are they anygood what are they like ? how long it takes to charge and so on ??. :?
And also....................

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6496

12mp82 Wrote:
The Uniross Nomad Battery Charger is one of the best all round battery chargers on the market. The Uniross Nomad charger comes complete with 2 x AA and 2 x AAA rechargeable batteries. This charger from Uniross is called a Nomad charger due to its ability to charge other USB devices whilst on the move. So, for instance, you charge up the batteries in charger and the Nomad charger then becomes a portable power source for charging any device that comes with its own USB lead. Ideal for that extra power for mobile phones whilst camping.

Charge the batteries in the Uniross Nomad battery charger through the mains or on the move through the in-car charging adaptor. Charging times are quite quick, the 2100mAh NiMH AA batteries included charge up in around 4 hours 15 minutes. The 800mAh NiMH AAA batteries charge up in just 1 hour 30 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, I have some of these nomad chargers and think they are excellent value for the money from Babz media on Ebay.
This device comes with x2 AA and x2 AAA charging over 2 channels, but will accept x4 of either.
It charges from mains electricity, but also comes with a USB charge cable, and a car cigarette charge cable (ok if you have a car),
The only thing it doesnt do is charge via solar.

So.... a simple mod that absolutely anyone can do as it requires no electrical skills whatsoever......just a Freeloader, they are cheap secondhand on Ebay (or you can buy a brand new chinese version for about £13 on Ebay, and a super charger solar panel for around £12).
Normally about £35 and £20 new in uk.

Take one classic freeloader....do not rely on the small solar panels that come with it...you really need the Super charger.
Using the USB lead supplied with the Uniross device, connnect it to USB in port on the Uniross charger.
Connect the other end to a Female USB to Male 1.45mm DC adaptor (which is normally supplied with the Freeloader) and then plug that into the power outlet port of the Freeloader.
I hope this makes sense?

The Freeloader will now charge the batteries in your Uniross charger and the Freeloader will in turn, charge from the Solar panel.
I have managed to have both the Freeloader battery charging from solar whilst charging the AA/AAA batteries from the Freeloader simultaneously but I suggest you only do this in an emergency.
I used a large double sided sticky pad, to secure the Freeloader to the lid of the Uniross charger.

(I dont know how to add photos, so you will just have to imagine)

*Note* Whether you like Freeloaders or no, they have one advantage over many other solar chargers...they are easy to repair and adapt, and are not too expensive.

piglet
ain't settlin'
Technik

Re: 2 answers combined to make AA/AAA charger for all occasi

Post by Technik »

Any links to all those devices?
piglet

Post by piglet »

I believe this store does the chinese copies of the Freeloader and Super charger:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TOMTOP-Digital ... 7675.l2563

(I have never purchased the Freeloader Hub copy, but do have one of the Super charger solar panels copies from this store and it seems to work equally as well as the Freeloader original Super charger)

Lots of stores in the UK sell the original Freeloader devices, and Maplins is one of the cheapest.
I believe if you go to the Freeloader company they will sell you just a Hub for around £19 (plus postage) without the 2 'wing style' solar panels which are only worth using if you are really...really...really 'not' in a hurry.

piglet
ain't settlin'
piglet

Post by piglet »

This is the cheapest supplier of the Nomad battery charger, that I have found.
(Babz Media)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uniross-NOMAD ... 53f29c17e6

piglet
ain't settlin'
piglet

Post by piglet »

Just one other thing.....

Both the Freeloader and the Nomad will charge mobile phones or similar types of devices, using a variety of cables and adaptors.

So far, I have only managed to get the Freeloader to charge Smart phones like the Apple iPhone or the Samsung Androids. But the Nomad will charge all my other 'standard' phones.
So between the two devices, you should have most things covered.

piglet
ain't settlin'
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Just so you know, Amazon have the Uniross Charger for £4.50, from Baz Media! go figure... :?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
tacticalprepper

Post by tacticalprepper »

Great ideas, might have to invest in some more kit :)
AREA 3
Paul_H

Post by Paul_H »

Brambles wrote:Just so you know, Amazon have the Uniross Charger for £4.50, from Baz Media! go figure... :?

I got an amazon voucher for xmas so off to have a look as i like the idea of it being able to charge via usb too so a good all round item i think so off to have a look but as im naff at these things would you happen to have a link to it on there???
piglet

Post by piglet »

ain't settlin'
Paul_H

Post by Paul_H »

thanks piglet appreciate it :)