growing land

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Re: growing land

Post by jansman »

As many here say, use your space well. I am fortunate-no, I rent, an acre of ground. I now have two polytunnels, a flock of 30 Rangers, my 6 lovely goats and my rabbits. But you are always best to start small( like I did) and learn.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
woodpecker

Post by woodpecker »

I had the chance to add to my patch by renting a neighbours patch, but I wasn't going to be taken for a mug as she hasn't touched it ever, it is covered in brambles and other under-jungle growth, said I could have it for three months rent free to clear it, and then she wanted £10 a month for a strip 7ft wide and 50 foot long, and she wouldn't give me a life tenancy either, so I clear it, rent it and then when up and running she pulls the rug from under must think I was born yesterday :lol: :lol: :lol:
23pioneer

Post by 23pioneer »

i have 2.5 acres but is not yet cultivated, its all rough ground at the moment, i am trying to come up with a plan that puts it to its best use, but with working full time, 4 kids and building an extension and trying to put a new roof on the cow shed i am short on free time, however when the longer nights come i will hopefuly get started on the land.
happyhacker

Post by happyhacker »

In Elizabethan times 4 acres was considered sufficient for a Family. You would need to keep animals as well for milk and meat. Chickens essential. Capa has almost the ideal situation as a plot in the middle of woods is as private as it gets.
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

two greenhouses, 1/4 acre lawn/grazing for goats, 200sqf raised beds and about another 1/4 acre allotment.
MastiffJim

Post by MastiffJim »

tigs wrote::roll: 400 acres of pasture and fields if i require it! :D ok im a farmer :D
did someone say mass prepper commune?
AREA 5
THE MELEE MASTER
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

where do you guys/gals look for either renting or buying land to grow food on ?
pedro56

Post by pedro56 »

good point woody
metatron

Post by metatron »

I've got an allotment, plus help on the one next to it (50/50 split of produce, on the other guys), my back gardon and two other peoples near me who are too old/ don't feel able to handle it themselves, which is again a 50/50 split.
slugbert

Post by slugbert »

me and my old man have an allotment quite reasonable sized. big shed with toilet and sink. no running water yet for them yet that's another little project for me to do and a greenhouse. Its lovely in the summer.
By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
-- Ben Franklin

Area 9