What medicines to store?

Medical and Healthcare
preppingsu

Re: What medicines to store?

Post by preppingsu »

http://boundtree.co.uk/

This company has a great range of medical equipment.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Some things to consider having:

Tea tree oil: Good antiseptic and good for burns to help cool them initially. (add a couple drops to a water soaked bandage or aleo vera gel helps a lot)

Raw honey: Good antibacterial/viral good for burns as well after a day or two. Locally sourced honey is also good for mild hay fever to build up tolerance.

Along with paracetamol/ibuprofen, you should pick up a couple boxes of over the counter co-codamol/co-buprofen. It has 8mg of codeine for extra pain relief. When you combine paracetamol and a opiate(codeine/morphine) it amplifies the pain relief so you don't need as much.

I'm not a huge fan of immodium to stop the diarrhoea. My thoughts are that if you have an infection attacking your gut, it's better to get all the bugs out instead of bunging yourself up and letting them multiply even more. as long as you keep hydrated and eat simple foods you should be ok.

Just my thought to add to some good ideas already posted.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

If you have access to a toilet and can stay hydrated leave the immodium, as Yanky said its better to let your system flush. Can't agree about honey, it has zero effect on hayfever but is nice in a cup of tea and in wound management.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

As well as the medication already mentioned I also store Centrum Advance Vitamin Tablets. As well as supplementing your diet in times of hardship they are also good to bolster your immune system which is the first line of defense before meds.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
lazarus401965

Post by lazarus401965 »

the wife used to work in a small chemist, so money saveing tips, the drugs that say fast acting, it's fast because they add caffeine, so take the cheap drug with strong coffee and you have about the same effect,

Try and buy non branded meds from small chemist,one there cheaper and two there normaly the same as branded drugs

Small chemist will often order specific drugs in for you, and if you dont know the name of a drug they can help you work it out. For example - Canestan caps cost £10 each !! The one you get on prescription can cost as little as 99p ! and they are available over the counter, so talk to the woman on the counter ( not the pharmacist, he doesn't know the prices )

moral of the story is go to small shops and talk to the person behind the counter
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

Aloe Vera is an amazing plant and would totally suggest getting a couple, they don't need much water but do require a fair bit of sunlight. You can just break a bit off whenever you need and use the gel inside the plant for a range of things including toothpaste, dry skin,sunburns and other skin irritations including other burns, natural shaving gel, poison ivy, frostbite... so I would say it's an essential plant to have even if you don't prep.

If you wanted to use alot of tea tree oil then you can buy a few plants and work out how to make your own as well so that you'll always have a supply of it.

Sure medicine is good and vital but once it starts to run out we will need other things to help us in times of crisis so maybe having a look at herbal remedies that have had actual scientific testing might be a good idea especially if you're able to cultivate it yourself.

One thing that I think people overlook sometimes are illnesses that cause diarrhea, they won't be pleasant to have and will spread disease so getting some stuff in to treat it would be needed and also some Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS) will help people recover quicker and get water into their cells. Plus if you, your family and friends don't fall victim to any of those nasty bugs you can trade it to people who have because they'll most likely be pretty desperate for them.
vassili

Post by vassili »

What a lot of people don't take into consideration is that in a time of stress and upheival our diet/ routines can get messed up resulting in constipation, unpleasant at best, down right dangerous at worst. So senna tablets or sachets of fibogel highly recommended in your meds.
vassili

Post by vassili »

What a lot of people don't take into consideration is that in a time of stress and upheival our diet/ routines can get messed up resulting in constipation, unpleasant at best, down right dangerous at worst. So senna tablets or sachets of fibogel highly recommended in your meds.
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

I agree with vassili senna is a very good medicine to always have at hand, I do also have access to oral morphine which is a powerful medicine but great pain killer in extreme conditions.
AREA 10
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Whole brown linseeds are always very good for constipation, provides some relief for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and a wide variety of other digestive maladies. Take a tablespoon with a lot of water for best results. Take this 20 minutes before a meal if you are having issues of loss of appetite.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks