First aid - keep it up to date and in your mind.

Medical and Healthcare
PreppingPingu

First aid - keep it up to date and in your mind.

Post by PreppingPingu »

Just thought I would share something that brought into focus how important keeping up with first aid response is. I did a paediatric first aid course about a year and a half ago at work - so far I have never needed to remember any of it at work. In the back of my car I keep a first kit, warning triangle and hi vis jacket.

On my way back from a friends today I passed a large group of cyclists. One of them had obviously come off his bike and the others were directing the traffic. At first I drove through, then turned about and came back to see if they needed help. I was very nervous as I have never had to deal with a real emergency before as a passer by. They had already phoned an ambulance which was on the way but I still stopped, told them to put up the warning triangle, and I patched a couple of the more bleeding wounds. BUT I also made some very basic mistakes. The biggest one being that once I was happy he wasn't about to keel over and that the ambulance was one its way I left. I should NEVER have left. He might have suddenly passed out. He was with a large group of cyclists so due to that and that I was thinking about needing to get home as my girls would be worried about where I was, my brain stupidly convinced me that it was ok to leave. The other big mistake I made was not checking the others in the team. When I was driving back home it occurred to me that at least one other member may have been in shock because of the accident.

The reason I share this is not for a pat on the back but that it has made me very aware that just coz you have a bit of kit in your car, and you did course once, doesn't mean you will remember everything when you need to. I have now made a mental note to regularly read my first aid manual and see about some refresher training. My first aid at work certificate only has to be retaken ever 3 years or something silly but if you are not using first aid often, then it certainly isn't second nature as I discovered today.

So what I have learnt:
1) Refresh regularly or practice with a friend, collegue, family member.
2) Read my manual periodically
3) Make that first stop to help if an opportunity presents itself - now I have stopped to help once I know I can do it. I know what I did wrong and next time hopefully I'll remember everything.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
pseudonym

Re: First aid - keep it up to date and in your mind.

Post by pseudonym »

Well done you for even stopping. :mrgreen:

My problem with the whole incident is that the cyclists didn't have/not enough/any means to help themselves. If they are going to engage in a dangerous sport, and it is - take the appropriate equipment.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
unsure

Post by unsure »

well done from me aswell for stopping .
i off roaded my landrover all over the country and have done for a number of years . in all that time ive only ever need to use first aid on 2 people . one was with burns to his hands up in scotland and the other was a gash to the head / eye area . now ive done first aid course`s but not for many years and as such most of the practices are well out of date but still work , i don`t consider myself as a first aider but in the absense of any one else i will do what i can .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
billpoll1

Post by billpoll1 »

At work I am an occupational fist aider every year we have to re-qualify on defid and med gas every year something changes St johns have a free app you can down load very good and the british red cross also have a very good app check them out lots of good helpful info
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thats quite an experience, Pingu! It really makes you think - all the training in the world doesn't make up for experience, and thinking about your experience, but you have to have the nous to use it as well. And you did, even though you know you could have done more - this was your first time. Good for you.
Thesaffa

Post by Thesaffa »

Yep, well done for stopping! So often people turn a blind eye...usually as they are unsure of what to do, or worse, do not want to get involved. Sad, but true.
JBird

Post by JBird »

I 100% agree with you that you need to keep up to date with your medical training, even if it's just a quick read through.

I had a similar incident a few years back which made me sit back and think (Came round the corner on the way home from work to a Yaris which decided to take on a bus.) A call to 999 and an ambulance was on the way. Passenger was going into shock and all I remember was the driver was yelling at me "Stop asking him what his name is, he knows what it is".. :roll:

One thing to note is, if you do ring 999, the person on the other end of the phone will talk you through everything you need to do whilst the ambulance arrives.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Your correct about the 999 call handler giving treatment advice JBird. When I first moved to england I worked as a call handler before going out to work on an ambulance. We regularly had to give advice about everything from CPR to delivering babies. As someone with a lot of clinical experience and training, the best advice I can give to people is use common sense and KISS. If they are not breathing, breath for them. If it's bleeding try to stop it. Don't over think things (even though it's hard not too.).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Having seen my mother and sister knocked over on a Pedestrian crossing i had a vague idea on what to do but the Minute work offered me to the First aid at work course i snapped their hand off...

Ive carried a first aid kit in the car for years BUT most of them are totally inadequate for any more than a grazed knee.... mine was:

Too compact (yes it saves space but getting to what you need in the dark in the wet was a mad shuffle of identical looking packages till i found what i needed) and ruined the entire kit as i scattered it on the road....

One tin foil blanket is not enough......

2 casualty's both injured who gets it :?

Lucky that night we was literally 6 houses away from home so i Ran home dived in my car (which had my winter EDC/ emergency kit stuffed in the boot)

Used the car to fend off traffic ( i have a magnetic amber strobe light in the boot along with the usual triangle) ended up with my mum wrapped in my sleeping bag whilst dad held her head still (suspected back injury)

Anyhow all is as well as can be expected thank feck although sis is still having physio .

I did the FAatW course.. then 2 weeks later i came onto a roundabout and the dust was just clearing on a HGV Tanker that had overturned :shock: the cars that were following simply drove past it :evil:

I found myself taking charge of the scene and ordering people about shouting at idiot motorists who were circling the Rounabout with their mobile phone up to get a photo.... (what is wrong with people)

Got one chap on the phone to emergency services (turned out to be our next door neighbour who i didnt recognise at first as i was too busy assessing what was in front of me looking for hazchem plates et all )

Grabbed my newly purchased LARGE first aid kit. Donned my first aid high vis vest that lives in the kit after i added to it......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trained-First ... 35aa3b8e69

Thank fook the driver was standing up on his passenger door uninjured

I then controlled the scene until the police turned up who's priority was baring in mind there was diesel pouring out cars backing up for miles was to ........ Breathalise the driver :roll: they left ME controlling traffic whilst 4 of them huddled round watching the driver blow.....

The fire service on the other hand were absolutely fantastic....

The white hat loved me as soon as he was out he was told all i could get from the driver (contents of his load none hazardous) where the 2 fuel leaks were coming from .. that the battery isolator couldnt be reached as it was laid on it.. et all..

They even stopped traffic for me so i could go the wrong way round the roundabout to get home as they were diverting traffic by this point onto the motorway for a 20 mileish diversion and went out of the way to thank me for my assistance which was nice.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Too compact (yes it saves space but getting to what you need in the dark in the wet was a mad shuffle of identical looking packages till i found what i needed) and ruined the entire kit as i scattered it on the road....
I would not worry about that, it sounds like you did a fantastic job! Earning respect of Fire Crews is not easy. 8-)

As for scattering your kit, we all do it. Just carry a small towel, blanket* or similar; even a yellow bin bag for the waste afterwards can be used. Lay that down first and just spread everything out on there.

* A blanket or towel is one of the most vital bits of any first aid kit, better than a bandage for a really big bleed and useful as padding/carrying or as above to mark out your work area.