Does anyone use CB?

Logistics and Transport
Ghost Prepper

Re: Does anyone use CB?

Post by Ghost Prepper »

i need to get myself a CB. We could start up a wee group of preppers on a TBD channel discussing things and generally having a chat. what do you think? in the case oa a SHTF event, such groups would be a very good way to pass along/about info on the situation.
AREA 13 CO-ORDINATOR

Best Prepping Advice : TELL NO BODY :)
maddfridge

Post by maddfridge »

hi everyone

have a homebase and a harvard 4 watt hand held but very few folks on there these days

if shtf bet a few more would be on thwere
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Camoninja wrote:Got one and just wondered what the laws were on it before I rigged it all up, also anyone from SE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Do you need a licence to use a CB radio in the UK?

The simple answer is NO, the CB licence was scrapped on 8th December 2006. You can use the 2 CB bands that are legal in the UK, the old UK40 band, and the European CEPT (mid block) both bands are FM, and give you a total of 80 Channels to use in the UK.

European countries such as Ireland, France, Italy etc can also use AM, and so if you live in the travel in Europe and want to communicate with other CB radio users and get traffic reports, then consider a European AM/FM Multi-Standard CB radio such as the TTI TCB-660 etc.
These CB radios must legally be set to the country that you are in at the time of use e.g. in the UK, you set them to the UK bands.

Each European country has its own laws regarding licences, and it is up to the user to check the current laws in any country that they intend to use a CB radio in.

Can you legally use a CB or Amateur Radio whilst driving in the UK?

Yes you can, two way radios such as CB, amateur radio, taxi radio etc are exempt from the mobile phone laws. But be aware that you will be prosecuted if your use of a CB radio results in dangerous driving or an accident. Also, using one will give the police an excuse to pull you over much the same as they pull over vehicles that have blue LED lights which aren't illegal either. Have a look at the Police National Legal Database http://www.askthe.police.uk and do a search for CB or blue LED's but remember - the police just need an excuse to check both you and your vehicle.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

double post sorry
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
newtonweir

Post by newtonweir »

Does anyone remember the groups that used to monitor channel 9 on CB?

I can remember asking people to leave channel 9, and 'rotate it up a couple'.

These days you're probably more likely to hear people on PMR446, with all the drawbacks that VHF brings.
Although legal CB is almost unused, there are very active 11 freebanders and freebander groups who knowingly ignore the law and achieve worldwide coverage on what are in essence CBs.

That's not something I'd advocate at all, but in a disastrous situation, it might mean you could contact someone.

Regards,

S.
John1788

Post by John1788 »

newtonweir wrote:Does anyone remember the groups that used to monitor channel 9 on CB?

I can remember asking people to leave channel 9, and 'rotate it up a couple'.

These days you're probably more likely to hear people on PMR446, with all the drawbacks that VHF brings.
Although legal CB is almost unused, there are very active 11 freebanders and freebander groups who knowingly ignore the law and achieve worldwide coverage on what are in essence CBs.

That's not something I'd advocate at all, but in a disastrous situation, it might mean you could contact someone.

Regards,

S.
Think they were called REACT
newtonweir

Post by newtonweir »

Well remembered, John :
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Em ... tion_Teams

This article relates to the US and Canada, but it did happen in the UK too.

Regards,
Steven.
Mohican France

Post by Mohican France »

Hello,

I am a "breaker" as the American usually say from the early 80's, both in local and in DX,
Even with the comming of the mobil-phones, I still kept them in state of use, both at home and in my van.
I deeply regret CB as a way to stay informed on trafic situation; I hope it will come back soon.

It remains perfect as a complement to mobil-phone, wherever you might be.
I must mention that I use "low power" walkie-talkies for very short distance contacts (public places, convoies, etc).
Keep cool, CB is not dead.

73's, 51st

Mohican
OpSec

Post by OpSec »

I'm a licenced ham and have a good selection of radios covering all band but I still have a CB radio that my wife uses. Lot's of hams look down on cb users, which is strange because that's where a lot of them got started. I don't look down on CB I just see it as another option and another tool in the box, you can never have too many options. In times of trouble you may get contacts on CB when there are no hams listening on the licenced frequencies or in range.
Cheers
G5
Area 8

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from it's government ~ Thomas Paine
John1788

Post by John1788 »

What is the average distance 2 hand held cb's can reach assuming they are both using Rubber duckies and in a Urban area,any Ideas ?