What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
arnieh

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by arnieh »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Arnieh:
Pool-shock (Sodium Hypochlorite) is a fairly strong chemical.
Its good and stable in long term storage though, in a way that liquid bleach is not.

To give you an idea, liquid bleach is roughly 5% Sodium Hypochlorite and 95% water. You only need a few drops to sanitise a couple of litres of water so weighing out the correct quantity of pool-shock is nearly impossible unless you have access to a scientific scale (micro-balence ?)

The best way to use it would be to make liquid bleach using your pool-shock and then use that as a water treatment.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5552946_make-ch ... leach.html.

The freezer isn't in the shed is it?
Thanks for the reply. The freezer is in the shed the shed is fully insulated with 100mm of closed foam insulation i.e. Celotex we did this before in a shed with no probs.

anieh
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

I'm so happy! We FINALLY ordered the woodburning stove today.....

Our risk of freezing through another power cut has been reduced on a whacking great scale and I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY ! The thought of a rerun of the last time (3 days of sleeping 3 to a bed to keep warm with hot water bottles heated on the emergency gas stove while wearing hats because it was minus 14 and our heads were freezing sticking out the top of the covers.....).

Just pray the central heating holds out for another three weeks!!!!
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Ferricks wrote: it was minus 14 and our heads were freezing sticking out the top of the covers.....).
Minus 14 would be a challenge.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

Turned the pile of rotten decking into a wood shed and pile of chopped wood :-)
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

Ferricks wrote:I'm so happy! We FINALLY ordered the woodburning stove today.....

Our risk of freezing through another power cut has been reduced on a whacking great scale and I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY ! The thought of a rerun of the last time (3 days of sleeping 3 to a bed to keep warm with hot water bottles heated on the emergency gas stove while wearing hats because it was minus 14 and our heads were freezing sticking out the top of the covers.....).

Just pray the central heating holds out for another three weeks!!!!
Which stove did you get ?
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

So far have gotten a couple of extra cans of food and some more medical supplies (waterproof bandages and antiseptic cream). Also working on my plan list to leave at home in my secret supply cupboard for if needed!
Mel357

Post by Mel357 »

Very pleased with my foil emergency blankets that arrived yesterday from amazon, must start sorting the bits that I have bought rather than just sticking it in piles.
I think my next job is to sort out BOBs so the members of my family have one each. first have to buy the bags :D
Area 1
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

purchased two of those reflective sun shields for car windscreens for me to make solar ovens from. Might help me do some slow cooking come the summer
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
munchh

Post by munchh »

Trying all sorts of variations on alcohol stoves as i can, also found i had the perfect bits and pieces to make so realy good potstands that can be used in the house.

See i knew they would be worth keeping....shhh.... the wife is coming. :tinfoil
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Re-packing my bug-out-bag/camping bag for winter camping.