Wood and materials

Homes and Retreats
bettersafethansorry

Wood and materials

Post by bettersafethansorry »

Ok I have a problem. I really need to repair n rebuild back fence asap. but money a bit tight this moneth... does anyone know best/cheapest/free way to get wood or old pallets. any ideas would be welcomed.

-M
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Arzosah

Re: Wood and materials

Post by Arzosah »

You might be able to get cheap recycled timber from a local project that belongs to one of these projects: http://www.communitywoodrecycling.org.uk/

Depends on how much you need - but I've been getting local stuff out of skips, after asking permission - some lovely slate, and wood too - seems to be a lot of skips round here at the mo. And some shops simply park pallets outside their door, so people can take them away. I'm building up the materials for a haybox, after that is a hotbox for the garden, which *was* going to be a coldframe, but a friend has been telling me about a workshop where she built a hotbox, sounds great for the garden.
spindrift

Post by spindrift »

Just have a drive around your local industrial estate and youll find tons of pallets that are going free. Just pop in and ask if its ok to take them away. I did that for my allotment and got quite a bit of good quality timber in good lengths.
"A mind without purpose will walk dark places"
www.facebook.com/somethingborrowedbykelli
Survivalist85

Post by Survivalist85 »

BSS which area are you in, i may be able to help out after going into the underground stores at work today!
Survivalist

Better To Have & Not Need Than To Need & Not Have!
CharpentierTom

Post by CharpentierTom »

The tip. Always go and check out the local civil amenities. You wouldn't believe the things I have found at the tip and continue to find. Angle iron, box section, wood, t&g, a shopping trolley (now a rolling tool tote for the workshop will post some pics),a trailer!, a free standing roll top bath!!

Also check the skips outside properties being renovated. They often have old stud work, rafters, doors, door linings. Usually good quality, well dried wood but will need de nailing. this is however a small price to pay for free wood.

Good luck with your search

Oh also saw mills sell bundles of slab wood usually about a m3 for £20 - £25 if you can take it from site.
jansman

Post by jansman »

All of what they said! Plus, when you start looking and 'switch' your head on, you will see timber everywhere.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

And check out donations on freecycle and freegle - probably 2 or 3 local groups.