What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by nickdutch »

purchased some terracotta oil lamps from amazon that i am hoping will fit the kind of wick that I like to use for my oil lamps and will work well in possible powercuts....... or just for very pretty illumination as we get closer to winter.
also ordered myself 200 tea lights.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
survival chic

Post by survival chic »

Thanks for the reminder i need to buy wick. But where would be the best place to buy or point to a site online.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

survival chic wrote:Thanks for the reminder i need to buy wick. But where would be the best place to buy or point to a site online.

I just popped into the local neighbourhood hardware shop and asked if they had oil lamp wicks. They had two types, flat for hurricane type lanterns, and round cord for other types.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A search on Evilbay for "lamp wick" gets me over 1K hits

Seems to be 2 to 3 quid a metre for all the standard sizes in both flat and round
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
colack

Post by colack »

Today I taught my girlfriend how to light a fire using a flint and steel, and how to build a fire so you don't smother it, she loved it
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Checked my stock medicines as people have had the first of the winter lurgies in our house, so supplies had been dipped into. Topped up Paracetamol and decongestants, and checked the indigestion remedies and expectorants. Also collected from the docs another inhaler and antihistamines, not that we need them atm as its not hay fever season but sticking the repeat script in now means I have an extra months supply.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

renewing all the window seals on the house to keep the warmth in, also invested in a carbon monoxide alarm.
Bodhihermit

Post by Bodhihermit »

Doing some more work on my VAWT/Solar driven Pathogenic water treatment system, and waiting for test sample results to come back from water that i have had stored for 5+ years.

I made a cup of tea with some yesterday, no noticable change in taste, so looking good :D
Area 1

The most Important aspect to Prepping is "Keep your Mouth shut"
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

I bought a 350l potable water tank for my rain harvesting plans, which appear to be very similar to Bodihermit above. I never thought I could get so excited about a water tank.....

Oh, and if I get time, I'm going to ditch the GPS, clean the dust off my compass and review how to navigate X country, especially around obstacles.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Finishing my log store ahead of a wood burner being fitted in January - cant wait! I had 2 large trees chopped down a month ago and have just started logging and splitting it all. Determined to do it all with no power tools, but hadn't appreciated just how hard it is!...just using a bow saw, sledge hammer & wedge.