How many candles? testing 1-2-3

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: How many candles? testing 1-2-3

Post by jansman »

LED for me. I have candles. So do my stupid neighbours to whom I am joined. That is what worries me about candles. Stupid people= housefires. Why are they stupid? Because they routinely light candles and go out leaving them burning!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Why are they stupid? Because they routinely light candles and go out leaving them burning!
They need sitting down with a fireman and perhaps someone who has survived a house fire, the risks we all take are pretty bad with what can catch fire, but those things which are already on fire need great care, in modern houses all it takes is a curious cat or a trespassing moth taking the flame to something else and it's goodbye house(s)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
scruffypaul

Post by scruffypaul »

Probably be good to have a couple of different options to use - candles okay for use indoors if in a glass or something for safety (also a tealight can help you light a fire outdoors); LED/battery lights and lanterns ideal for brighter indoor lighting or torches (I like the Rolson 72 LED work lights); glowsticks for situations where you don't want a flame or electricity (I keep a couple of white and a couple of orange glowsticks in my car for use as warning signals e.g. around a crashed/damaged car at night)
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

jansman wrote:LED for me. I have candles. So do my stupid neighbours to whom I am joined. That is what worries me about candles. Stupid people= housefires. Why are they stupid? Because they routinely light candles and go out leaving them burning!
friend of mine is a fireman, the horror stories ive heard does not bear thinking about i would defo have words.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
damaralenoire

Post by damaralenoire »

i have been doing an experiment over the last 10 days regarding something you guys may actually know and practice already, but i lit one of my 50 hour pillar candles after placing it into an old brockwurst sausage jar as it was a perfect fit and calculated the hours it lasted and there is still a quarter of the candle left after burning for 65 hours so far. It kind of makes sense as there is nowhere for the wax to escape so it makes the candle last longer.
AREA 12

“Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes.”
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

damaralenoire wrote:i have been doing an experiment over the last 10 days regarding something you guys may actually know and practice already, but i lit one of my 50 hour pillar candles after placing it into an old brockwurst sausage jar as it was a perfect fit and calculated the hours it lasted and there is still a quarter of the candle left after burning for 65 hours so far. It kind of makes sense as there is nowhere for the wax to escape so it makes the candle last longer.

Hypothetically, it might be worth while taking pillar candles, slicing them into 4 and then wrapping the bodies of the candles in foil to make massive tea lights, if you can slice off a bit extra to expose the wick to light it, then recycle the cut off wax as another candle.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
XMaramena

Post by XMaramena »

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

nickdutch wrote:
Hypothetically, it might be worth while taking pillar candles, slicing them into 4 and then wrapping the bodies of the candles in foil to make massive tea lights, if you can slice off a bit extra to expose the wick to light it, then recycle the cut off wax as another candle.
A while back Homebase (I think) sold extra large tealights two or three inches across (and the lanterns to go with).

They didn't throw much more light (the wicking was pretty much the same size as in the normal ones) but they seemed to burn for ever
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

To see me through an initial crisis i have around 200 candles, couple of hundred batteries for led head torches and some oil lamps.
But when these are gone they are gone.... How many of us know how to make candles from scratch using basic tools?

If anyone has found any tutorials that make sense or are easy to follow please post them.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

QUAID wrote:.... How many of us know how to make candles from scratch using basic tools?
*Raises Hand*
If anyone has found any tutorials that make sense or are easy to follow please post them.
You want to know about moulding, casting or dipping ?
Beeswax or Paraffin wax?

Basic tools are:
Heat source (a safe one)
Wax pot
Wicking
Moulds (not needed for 'normal' stick candles)

Should I write out a how-to ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar