Home made anesthetic?

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: Home made anesthetic?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I wrote "Hemp" because thats what they called it back then.
I know its different from hemp, the one used for seeds and fibres.

Re: Glaucoma. I didn't think it was a cure, just used to manage the symptoms. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Squirty cream, the cans are pressurised using nitrous oxide.You can also buy a device that uses whipped cream chargers (they look like Sparklet bulbs, but holding nitrous oxide rather then CO2) that you can fill with your choosen dessert topping
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
redskies

Post by redskies »

ForgeCorvus wrote:I wrote "Hemp" because thats what they called it back then.
I know its different from hemp, the one used for seeds and fibres.

Re: Glaucoma. I didn't think it was a cure, just used to manage the symptoms. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Squirty cream, the cans are pressurised using nitrous oxide.You can also buy a device that uses whipped cream chargers (they look like Sparklet bulbs, but holding nitrous oxide rather then CO2) that you can fill with your choosen dessert topping
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you didn't know, just tend to give full information - you might well know, but folks reading might not :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

redskies wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you didn't know, just tend to give full information - you might well know, but folks reading might not :)
No harm, no foul

I thought I'd better be a bit more specific, not aimed at you either.

Just how strong is Clove oil?
I mean, if I pour/rub it on my skin is it only skin deep or would it relieve the pain from, say, muscle damage or "Rumatics" (as the old folks seem to call it round here) ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
redskies

Post by redskies »

It's a good local anaesthetic. It'll quite efficiently numb the top layers, and, depending on how much you use, and how you concentrate it over an area, probably a bit below that too. I've not done any extensive trials with it, but it works with toothache, even where dihydrocodeine fails!

I wouldn't use it with 'rumatics' - the causes of the pain are quite different, and it depends on whether it's rheumatic or osteo in origin. The most common kind is osteo, and there's quite a lot of things you can do to help that.

Muscle damage is a tricky one - again, where, how, and how bad? One of the other quite strong analgesic oils is Rosemary, and I've had quite a lot of success using that in a blend for various types of muscle pain. There are others, antispasmodic oils, that work well with the analgesics. A lot of pain - not *all* but a lot - with that kind of thing is caused by tension. It hurts, you tense, it hurts more, you tense more etc etc. So if you can relax the tension, it's a big help - more than most realise.

It's all about tailoring treatment to injury or condition. If I had to stitch a wound, and all I had was clove oil, I'd use it, carefully (don't want that IN a wound if you can avoid it!), but if I had ice, that would probably be a better option. Or even nothing at all, depending on the circumstances. If you've got to put 40 stitches in something, yes, a bit of local will help. But if it's only two or three, it'd be better to just get it done. Yes, it's going to sting a bit, but it's not that bad! You also have to consider the severity of bleeding. Even with modern locals, excessive bleeding or even loss of muscle tone can make them ineffective. Just another thing to consider.

Passing thought. There are throat sweets you can buy, they're called Tyrozets, and they contain benzocaine. They could, probably, be crushed and mixed with liquid and used topically as a local anaesthetic. Might be worth sticking a couple of packs in your first aid kit :)
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Excellent! Thanks for the Clove Oil tips, i also thought that it was only effective for toothache problems.

Just finished with my Chloroform experiment:

Used a huge amount of bleach at 5.4% with pure acetone, both almost frozen, left it for 24 hours, separated the layers and also added a touch of Ethanol to counter the 'phosgene' effect.
I have to say that although you may not need a lot of chloroform, it is a large drain on any Bleach resources you may have...
I ended up with about 15ml of 'patchy' chloroform (its smells like the genuine article) out of 3 litres of bleach.
No doubt you will be able to refine the process with a lot more practice.

Any way ive thrown it away now, but if it came to it i have the engrained knowledge of how to muster some up.
newtonweir

Post by newtonweir »

Chloroform hasn't been used for years in anaesthetics. It was replaced by trichloroethylene.
If you want to kill yourself with a DIY anaesthetic, get to know your dry cleaner - they use loads of it.

These days its halogenated ethers and halogenated hydrocarbons in the form of Isoflurane, Sevoflurane, and Desflurane. Enflurane and Halothane have had licences revoked. These are all prescription only medicines.

The term Anaesthetic basically means without feeling (at all, ie a general anaesthetic)
The term Analgesic basically means without pain.

What your dentist uses in your mouth is loosely called local anaesthetic, but really it is only local analgesic, as the noiceceptors are blocked, but sensations like pressure can still be felt.

To deal with the original three problems :

Correcting a fracture - fix it in traction (bottles of water or bricks to pull the fracture in skin traction - this will alleviate pain)

Cauterising wounds - don't. Use warm, wet, clean swabs/towels and lots of pressure. You cant cauterise major vessels. Drink gin.

Amputation - do it quickly with a tourniquet, then irrigate (dilution is the solution to pollution (infection)), and then apply warm, wet towels etc. Drink gin.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I was asking because I knackered my back a while ago, I ended up taking Co-Codemol and Ibuprofen (doses of each drug staggered, so I was taking medication every 2 hours ) under the advice of the doctor (Prior to getting the 'scrip I was double tapping Paracetamol and Ibuprofen )..... I hate taking anything so if I'd had something that could of taken the edge off I'd of used it.
(you don't really want to get rid of all the pain, its the body's way of reminding you that you shouldn't be doing 'that').

Where to get Clove and Rosemary oils?
And how long can they be kept ?
redskies

Post by redskies »

ForgeCorvus wrote:I was asking because I knackered my back a while ago, I ended up taking Co-Codemol and Ibuprofen (doses of each drug staggered, so I was taking medication every 2 hours ) under the advice of the doctor (Prior to getting the 'scrip I was double tapping Paracetamol and Ibuprofen )..... I hate taking anything so if I'd had something that could of taken the edge off I'd of used it.
(you don't really want to get rid of all the pain, its the body's way of reminding you that you shouldn't be doing 'that').

Where to get Clove and Rosemary oils?
And how long can they be kept ?

You can buy both online from various health food shop type suppliers. Or from a site like Amphora. In dark glass bottles, in a steady temperature, they'll keep for years :)
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

redskies wrote:She quite possibly did. It certainly wouldn't surprise me. I've read that the only reason it was banned in the states is because it was poised to oust wood as a base for paper making, amongst other things, and the log barons had hysterics!
i heard this was true aswell and as the logging company's were some of the biggest investors in the country it was passed.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

and clove oil you can get anywhere my local tesco has it!! /
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill