Lifesaver Bottle

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
QUAID

Lifesaver Bottle

Post by QUAID »

Got myself a 6000 ltr Lifesaver bottle.
Absolutely brilliant specs... i cannot find Anything else out there that filters down to these levels. On the face of it, it is the best bug out solution available, as you can save weight and have 'clinically' pure water.
However, when it arrived i discovered it has a 2 year shelf life, then once you use it you have to keep the membranes wet. These are not cheap items.
Apart from a Millbank bag and Puritabs or boiling water (done this for decades for real), does anyone have any other kit ideas especially for a bug out scenario?
Considering a 'Lifestraw'.

Will probably go back to the old ways, but wanna hear everyones ideas....
!!!!!After 3 hours you will need water!!!!!
pseudonym

Re: Lifesaver Bottle

Post by pseudonym »

I have 2 of the 4000 Livesavers and spare filters
Pre-mac water filter and spare iodine filters
Aquamira Frontier Pro Filter
Milbank bag + boil it
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

You should have gone for the Solo Disaster Preparedness Pack, which is packed in foil. 10 year shelf life then 5 years once opened.

Leo
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Thanks for the tip LEO, i could really kick myself for not buying the pack. Yet i am also frustrated at the fact that you only really get to find out about the 2 year shelf life after you have bought the damn thing.
These are not exactly cheap.... I class them as luxury items.

My next question is - After the 2 year shelf life, can you start to use it for its intended life/role or after 2 years it has to get binned and what happens if after 2 years you do start to use it, after all it is supposed to have a 'fail-safe' filter mechanism, so is the filtered water quality diminished somehow?
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

As I understand it, 2 years shelf then another 2 years once you have started using them if, you keep the filter wet. Or until it clogs up.

I have both a 20kLtrs Jerry Can and the 6KLtr bottle in foil. Yes they expensive, but without clean fresh watering in a SHTF world, I or my family could be dead, within days.

As a side note, and no I do not work for them, ect, ect. But the are doing up unit Xmass 20% of orders over £130. Just chech out they web site.

Leo
munchh

Post by munchh »

REALLY!

I bought an ex services one, so its probly out of date already!

Thats disapointing.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

You can get spares for them, like the cartridge, carbon filters and nozzles. So all is not lost.

Leo
munchh

Post by munchh »

Yeah I bought extra carbon filters, but the new ceramic cartridge costs more than I paid for it originaly. Luckily I have a few more skills ghan when I bought it, I felt very vunarable having 3 kids and no real way to purify water, I feel more secure about it now, but think this is alot of money for something that turns oht to have a shelf life!
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

Regarding this 2 year shelf life, I have to admit it has confused me a bit. I was looking at the site the other day and noticed the foil packed bundles and was unsure what the deal was.

I can imagine why this is necessary, however I feel that if SHTF then I would expect that it would still work? The need to keep it wet makes sense, and if you are in the situation where you are using your bottle then it would be used regularly... Like REGULARLY! And then it's on to the best way to store all the spares you'd need.

I love these as an idea...

Mallie
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

QUAID

Post by QUAID »

If Lifesaver bottles produce "Clinically Pure Water" - would you use the water as an emergency Intra -Venous fluid?