How many candles? testing 1-2-3

How are you preparing
QUAID

Re: How many candles? testing 1-2-3

Post by QUAID »

I bought some cheapo tealights (100 pack 4hr burn) from Tesco just to try them out.
DONT BOTHER
i know you get what you pay for, but these were shite!!!
They lasted around 2 hours. The wicks burn down really quick and the quality of the wax was noticeably different from other varieties i have.
I already have a couple of hundred other 8hr tealights from IKEA (amongst other things) and they are really good.

I am a firm believer in practice and test before the big event!
stevegray

Post by stevegray »

Most of mine are from Ikea.
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

I don't have as many candles as I should have the wife keeps using them as I work in a candle factory we get some of the old stock or unsalable ones.

Putting candles in the freezers is something we do at work as this shrinks the wax and it comes out of the jars if the wicks are in the wrong place this then get reusued. One thing is that we uses dozens of different types of wick depending on the candle different thicknesses and different materials this gives different burn times due to the scented oils or the size of the candles
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
delard

Post by delard »

A few years ago I bought loads of large pillar candles from these people : http://www.candlesontheweb.co.uk/acatal ... illar.html

They are pretty expensive - but last for a LONG time and are nice enough to use around the house in non-apocalyptic times.

However I've no idea if much cheaper candles would have been just as good? Their website says :
Pillar candles are more suitable for indoor burning than church candles. They have an outside layer of harder wax to minimize dripping and smoke less than traditional church candles. We recommend that you always choose pillar candles for normal domestic use, especially when choosing larger sizes.
Are there better choices for very large candles?

- Delard
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

QUAID wrote:I bought some cheapo tealights (100 pack 4hr burn) from Tesco just to try them out.
DONT BOTHER
i know you get what you pay for, but these were shite!!!
They lasted around 2 hours. The wicks burn down really quick and the quality of the wax was noticeably different from other varieties i have.
I already have a couple of hundred other 8hr tealights from IKEA (amongst other things) and they are really good.

I am a firm believer in practice and test before the big event!

Ive had a totally different experience to you :shock: I had some of these in stock and seeing your comment prompted me to open my pack and light one :mrgreen: stuck it in my UCO candle lantern and 4 1/2 hours later i blew it out as i was way past my bed time ... Suppose it depends on the condition's the candle is in to how long it lasts :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have lots of candles. However I prefer LED LIGHT. It is safer. Trouble is with candles , everyone has them. Including idiots. Idiots + candles = house fires.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

thats why i got a couple of uco lanterns

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/uco_mini_can ... wwodP2YA4w

much safer in these.......

its a fall back over battery lanterns, duel fuel lanternsm, gas lights .. and a way of lighting a room front way to look like all the other houses in the street whilst the good stuff is used / running back way out of sight such as inverter / generator :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Late to the debate here but i have around 1500 tea lights as a last resort once all my battery power goes ;)

My local Asda have 100 tea lights for £2 just now.