Generator experts (repair / replace) ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Generator experts (repair / replace) ?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well whilst been used this weekend to run tools in the outhouse the one i got from Lidl just under three years ago decided to have a paddy and poo itself with lots of smoke...

From the quick look i have had it appears to have burnt out its Stator coil :cry: and can i hell as find the reciept so looks like im stumping up again :x

paid about £160 for it and a new Stator coil is £85 ish

http://www.einhelltools.co.uk/product-i ... d1254.html

asked about (engineer at work) having it rewound and was told it would cost about the same..... but that's about half the price of a new unit with no assurance that if i put a new one in it will last any longer..

(its never been overloaded) it might have got a bit warm a few times but im not sure why it suddenly lost all power as i was only drawing 1000 w on it when it decided to smoke so bad i thought it had caught fire..... and stripped it down at speed with a CO2 extinguisher to hand since it was full of petrol it was a bit of a worry...

Probably was a bit of a mistake buying it but you win some you loose some....

Been having a word with my dad who is keen on having a decent genny and has offered to go halves :mrgreen:

really tempted to go for a Honda 2kw silent jobbie yes they are bloody expensive but are they worth the money?

and in a emergency would 2kw (1.6kw constant) be enough to run a fridge? know they are low wattage once running but like a few things they need a kick to get them going so to speak)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Steveo82

Re: Generator experts (repair / replace) ?

Post by Steveo82 »

Hi Andy, I have this gen set set and it runs our fridge, freezer, emergency lights and gas boiler if needed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-EU20i-S ... 4aa65f85e3
5 year warranty but requires maintenance. I had the 1kva before and this was secondhand and 5 years+ it never let me down once and was used a lot.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Definately go for the Honda. I tried the cheaper option of a Hyundai 3KW gene.... It was great for a couple of years, now the voltage regulator needs replacing and doesnt give out pure sine wave, only quasi sinewave, still workable but doesnt run sensitive electronic eqpt.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Thanks chaps have also been looking at this:

http://www.honda.co.uk/energy/generator ... fications/

purely from a financial angle as its not something we use all the time and is a bit more on the robust side rather than a nice fancy plastic casing ;)

but theres not much listed about the power stability bar "standard" in the spec any one have any idea? :?

Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Great piece of kit, noisy but reliable. I wouldn't run anything sensitive on it like tvs or laptops but for running tools etc etc it will do fine. See if you can get a sub £350 deal in the new year and its a bargin
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ive got my inverter and battery project for sensitive stuff :)

we only have a 15a supply down to the workshop so if running power tools and the chest freezer cuts in out goes the lights :cry: might look into something with 3kw peak starting to be sure of enough kick for induction motor based tools

Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

If your going 3.0kva+ have you thought about diesel? Red diesel is a lot cheaper then petrol ( I know a company that deliver 205ltr drums to your door less then £1/ltr with regards to induction motors see below

POWER CALCULATOR - HOW MUCH POWER DO YOU NEED?

Before deciding on a generator, it is important to consider ALL the appliance you may want to operate, how many will be used simultaneously and the TOTAL current consumption at any one time. Most appliances have a descriptive plate stating the current, usually in watts.

IMPORTANT 111

various electrical applications have very different power requirements, so it is essential to understand each particular need. For example TV sets, cookers, kettles and filament lamps have resistive loads, this means that their start up and operating currents are virtually the same - and as stated on the manufactured descriptive plate. Buying the right generator can seem like a formidable task. But in just a few easy steps you can effectively and confidently decided and choose which generator is right for you.
Identify the tools and appliances you wish to operate with your generator.
Determine the required power for each item ( see appliance data plate i.e.: watts of appliance).
Add the required Watts of each item that will be running simultaneously. Also allow for motor starting of appliance * see chart
Choose the generator that has rated Watts that meet or exceed this total power.
Motor Starting is an important consideration when buying a generator. Keep in mind that induction type motors, like those that run sump pumps, refrigerators, compressors , pressure washers typically require 2 to 3.5 times their listed running watts to start. below is a chart you can use to determine how many Watts you will need to start up motors of various sizes and types. Please note that power tools using a universal commutator do not require any additional start up power. The calculator below lists tools and appliances you may want to use with your generator. With each tool or appliance is listed the approximate running watts for each.

NOTE:

Always consult the data plate on the tool or appliance for accurate electrical information. The outlet configuration of some units may require modification to achieve maximum rated power. If you are in any doubt then consult the manufacturer of your appliance.
Motor Size H/P Running Watts Watts Req. to Start Motor

1/8 275 850

1/6 275. 850

1/4. 400. 1,050

1/3. 450. 1,350

1/2. 600. 1,800

3/4. 850. 2,600

1. 1,100. 3,300

2. 2,200. 6,600
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Thanks for that SteveO

I knew that Induction needed a hefty boot up the backside to start them need to check the ratings plate but i can think of very few times i would need to use the Pressure washer or Compressor off grid.. but it would be a handy thing to have the umph to do more if needed....

Need to check my submersible pump to see if thats a bog standard motor (think they are 300w ) as that it could be one SHTF where the genny could be a big help if power went off due to flooding Could just about manhandle it out the fire escape bedroom window onto the Concrete kitchen flat roof .....

I had considered a Diesel one But your looking at mega money for one thats of good quality or a second hand one where you dont know its history and having used a Diesel one at work they can be a real PITA to start in depths of winter when its cold. we used to use a Blow lamp to pre heat it in the end after 15 mins cursing and swearing ... And generally much noisier

That and been domestic the 2x10 metal and 2x5 plastic still applies to storage of diesel.. But the 2 cars are both petrol so there is potential for 100l legally on the property in the cars tanks which if it was bad i could safely (as possible) syphon some off ((got Anti static syphon tube and ramps to get the fuel filler off due to modern anti syphon set up in the filler necks))) ... (leaving some in the tanks if the need to bug out arose honest) :tinfoil

Not that i'd ever run out of coleman camping fuel on a bank holiday evening and end up dropping the fuel filter on a campsite honest :oops:

:geek:

Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Not that i'd ever run out of coleman camping fuel on a bank holiday evening and end up dropping the fuel filter on a campsite honest :oops:

:geek:
:lol:

Just for you seems as you love rules and regs are these correct as they are from hse.gov. Site. I have notified them about my barrel and it comes in a suitable container.

What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garageor within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres and two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.

Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA.
How should I store diesel and what quantity am I allowed?

There are no specific legal requirements on how to store diesel or the quantity allowed either in workplaces or domestic premises. It is not, from a health and safety point of view, a particularly hazardous substance within the meaning of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 - its vapour flash point is too high. This means that its vapour will not ignite at normal room temperatures.

That said, there are some general issues you'll need to take into account:

no 'hotwork' should be performed on the vessel unless it is emptied and purged of any remaining vapour.
the drum should be positioned away from any source of direct heat.
the drum should be located in an area where there is no risk of collision with vehicles, fork-lift trucks etc. (diesel splashing onto a hot engine will probably ignite).
leaks and spills should be contained to the vicinity of the drum and mopped up quickly, to lessen the risk of slipping.
refilling and dispensing activities need to take account of manual handling issues etc.
While diesel is not a particularly dangerous substance from a health and safety point of view, it is an environmental hazard, with considerable clean-up costs if it should leak into a drain, watercourse or the soil. You may, therefore, wish to contact the Environment Agency for further information .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The good old HSE i thought diesel was covered under the regs obviously not :D

i was going by this

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/fuel-storage

Not see anything about the storage of Gas bottles yet bar this on calors site

http://www.calor.co.uk/help-and-advice/ ... as-bottles

which if thats the case it's very easy to go over when your into camping / caravanning/ have a gas patio BBQ as well

i spread the bottles out between the shed and the outhouse

Wouldn't want to be responsible for levelling the street :tinfoil But on a serious note storing more than allowed would probably invalidate your buildings and contents insurance as those swines will use any excuse to withdraw cover