long term prepping

How are you preparing
spare tyre

Re: long term prepping

Post by spare tyre »

grenfell wrote:Am I right in assuming you're younger than me spare tyre? ( I'm late forties).
Still the younger generation can beat me hands down at wiping out zombies or driving high speed sports cars or piloting spaceships or a million and one other things on a computer screen :lol:
yeah, very late teens. it wont help them when tshtf :lol:
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Yes, and going back to the original theme of the thread - long term prepping - one of the reasons I prep at all is because I see the civilisation we have built ourselves as brittle and fragile.

We have become incredibly efficient at doing things - the free market seems to be responsible for that - but I am not at all sure that we are simultaneously incredibly effective at doing things, and the free market is responsible for that, too. There is just no point in doing the wrong things cheaply, even if they are the things that generate economic demand, and make some people rich. Effectiveness is about doing the right things efficiently, those things that are central to our humanity, and enable humans to flourish and nurture our minds, bodies and spirits.

There are signs that we, as a species, are beginning to realise all this, but until we, as a species, universally realise that consumerism is a seductive drug that uncontrolled cannot be sustained in a world of finite resources and can only lead to tears, we are doomed to walk a precarious tightrope that could, so easily, end prematurely in the end of the conveniences so many of us take for granted, and will not be able to survive without.

So, I prep. The skills I learn and tools and stores I keep give me some degree of self-confidence. But Oh! How I wish this treasured island of ours was consistently pursuing wise and prudent policies that ensured the resilience of our society, and the continuation of our civilisation!

Cheers, 2RM.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
jansman

Post by jansman »

Steveo82 wrote:What a scary thought. If it happens in 20 years time the pre 60s/70s generation will be gone.
I may have been born in the 60's, but I am planning to be here beyond 20 years!!!! :lol: I am fully paid up on NI contributions-I want some of it back!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cpslashm

Post by cpslashm »

20 years!!!

I used to think that.

Now I'm fairly sure things will start crumbling in three years and be gone in ten.
SHTF around 2017.
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

jansman wrote:
Steveo82 wrote:What a scary thought. If it happens in 20 years time the pre 60s/70s generation will be gone.
I may have been born in the 60's, but I am planning to be here beyond 20 years!!!! :lol: I am fully paid up on NI contributions-I want some of it back!
I ment 60-70 year olds :lol:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:...... I am fully paid up on NI contributions-I want some of it back!
Which seat are you standing for ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

QUAID wrote:The upcoming generations are losing touch with nature rapidly.
I've spent the last 6 years abroad (Canada, Australia) and one of the things that dawned on me is how much of a safety net we actually have here in the UK, and how quickly without it things can turn sour without it. I do appreciate what we have here in the UK, however I dont think what we have is in anyway sustainable...

I don't think the upcoming generations are losing touch, I think its mostly lost already, people currently have the state provided safety net in place that means they dont need to learn how to grow there own food, fix there own stuff as someone else will provide it. I'm mid 30's and Im a computer programmer... I cant grow food, I cant fix cars (beyond simple stuff), I'm not too practical and amongst my peers it appears to be the norm.. But : Im aware of it and i'm slowly trying to change that.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Steveo82 wrote:
jansman wrote:
I ment 60-70 year olds :lol:
Apologies .I misread your post. However , the 60's generation was brought up in an era when Dad, Grandad, had lived before and during WWII. The resilient generation. And we learnt from them.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
jansman wrote:...... I am fully paid up on NI contributions-I want some of it back!
'Devils Advocate '.

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:
'Devils Advocate '.
I'd vote for you..... What colour is your rosette ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar