Would anyone use an LBV??

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Plymtom

Re: Would anyone use an LBV??

Post by Plymtom »

QUAID wrote: Also think about - the more pockets you have - the more you will find something to fill them
Or as I frequently find, take ages to find the things you've filled them with :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Or fill them to the point where they fall down... :oops:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
.....round here a back pack would blend in nicely with the number of eastern europeans who all seem to carry a basic sports type rucksack with them at all times usually with their work pack up / jacket inside them

Please dont think im been racist was in Poland a number of years ago as part of an exchange trip and we did laugh at first but the weather was worse than here for unpredictability and they all had a jacket in their bags.... unlike us brits that kept getting soaked.... that and over there charging for carrier bags has been on the go years...
Ah, I must be a Pole then 8-)

Seriously, my Bag Load has a set of rain-proofs strapped to the underside..... Sounds mad in this weather, but I was the only dry one on the station platform a week or so ago as a fracking massive thunder-storm came through (insert "Smug" emoticon here).

Back OT
Photographer's or fisherman's vests are a bit more Grey then camo, and if you have to wear camo either a foreign pattern or a commercial pattern (eg Realtree) doesn't scream "I've got good stuff... Mug me first" as badly as MTP
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Back OT
Photographer's or fisherman's vests are a bit more Grey then camo, and if you have to wear camo either a foreign pattern or a commercial pattern (eg Realtree) doesn't scream "I've got good stuff... Mug me first" as badly as MTP
OK, I know not a lot about camouflage. But it would appear that MTP (as an innocent bystander) just looks like camouflage, but the realtree stuff looks like someone with an art degree thought they could make it look better?

As I said I know nothing about this sort of thing, but MTP just looks like normal gear to me and the realtree looks expensive (because it's not 'normal'). Or am I just suffering from testosterone deficiency?
Knowledge is power
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

There wasn't a lot of MTP on the market not so long ago, what there was had the price hiked as its the latest thing. The older DPM was issued for ages so people got used to seeing it on students, farmboys and the like.
Its interesting to get someone else's take on the subject.

I don't wear camo clothing anymore (for several reasons), I do use a lot of mil-surp however as it tends to be cheap and rugged.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

BigB26 wrote:@devonian.

Do you know of a small daypack that can carry a few hundred shotgun rounds without breaking? Ta
If you're planning on carrying a few hundred shells, there is a relatively small day pack that was designed to do just that. Google 'alice pack cargo shelf'. The cargo shelf is an accessory that clips to the lower section of the frame that will allow you to carry stacked ammunition, it's what it was specifically designed to do. A lot of US prepper sites rate the pack for this capability alone. Check Endicotts in Exeter for the pack.

As for a discreet way of carrying shells on your front, perhaps google 'molle shotgun pouch'.

I hope that is of some help.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Sorry BigB26, I missed your question about a suitable back pack, but Briggs has answered - thanks.

But what exactly are you looking for and would you seriously be carrying around a 'few' hundred cartridges (which I read as being 300+) be it on an LBV or within a backpack??

That's 12+ boxes and will certainly affect your 'stealthiness' which was one of the things you were hoping to achieve. To me, after TSHTF, that would be like walking around with a big red flag sticking up above your head.

Now if an LBV is what you want, because that is what you like and is the image you want to have, then fine just go for it. But if you are prepping and looking at a post SHTF Survival perspective, then I would suggest looking at what you realistically want to achieve.

For example what is wrong with a simple cartridge belt, that can hold up to 25-30 cartridges - surely enough for a food finding mission, as you put it? But if you feel that is not enough, how about doubling up, or adding a Jack Pyke Cartridge bag which is small and compact and adds another 70 cartridges to those on your belt(s), or a marginally larger cartridge bag that holds 150 cartridges. That would still allow you to carry a small back pack for any other essential equipment.

Additional cartridges can then be cached or kept at your base location, so would you seriously want to be out hunting or scavenging in what could be bandit country whilst carrying a few hundred cartridges (plus your other kit)??
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

ForgeCorvus's post got me thinking about DPM jackets worn on our day to day life.
I have my 95 issue woodland DPM jacket hanging in a cupboard with the rest of my bug-out kit.
As a social standard I thought no further than my local pub and the area around that social hub.
Over the years I have seen an ex-soldier that still comes in wearing his in winter 20 years after leaving the service, a handful of fishermen that use the 95 issue jackets when fishing, a fair few builders that I have seen wearing them come into the pub and a couple of bikers/scooterists that stick them over their leathers/flight jackets.
I have seen a rather attractive girl wearing one along with fashion clothing as far removed from military issue as you can get (real short cut off denims and black tights with white trainers, so it seems that the 95 issue and like DPM has become the general clothing leveller.

Getting back to LBV's, I had an early OD South African assault vest that I wore when out in the woods to look for seedlings I would take for my bonsai hobby. It would fit unnoticed under one of my flight jackets (I was a scooterist so I kinda lived in my green flight jacket).
I remember that when the zip broke my wife assumed it was no use and chucked it in the bin. I am still married to her so it must be love :D
For social acceptability I'd go for an early South African assault vest as it is very much like the LBV's that are worn by many outdoor enthusiasts.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
lee3

Post by lee3 »

Thanks Briggs 2.0 for alicepack cargo shelf tip....just what I was looking for!
:D
Oh and as brad paisley says "camo is my favourite colour!"
I'm in area 1
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

lee3 wrote:Thanks Briggs 2.0 for alicepack cargo shelf tip....just what I was looking for!
:D
Oh and as brad paisley says "camo is my favourite colour!"
I had an Alice pack, it was very comfortable but I didn't like the pouch fastenings or the way it wouldn't stand up on the frame. I sold it and went frameless. It would be good if you posted a pic your cargo tray setup.

Don't forget to check the size, I think Alice comes in 3 sizes.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors