New prep

How are you preparing
Bad Wombat

Re: New prep

Post by Bad Wombat »

Sounds like the previous owner was a registered firearms dealer. My local friendly RFD has a similar setup. I suspect all you will find are a few empty rifle cartridges rolling around. If you do find any prohibited items (and that can be pretty much anything related to firearms) you can surrender them at your local police station, or might be able to drop them off at your own local registered firearms dealer, or even at your local target shooting club. I wouldn't keep hold of anything like that and definitely wouldn't recommend disposing of such stuff yourself. I know someone who tried that and it caused quite a fuss. Gun safes are pretty expensive. I imagine a local RFD or shooting club would fall over themselves if you wanted to get rid of them. If you don't have the keys to the safes then you could be in for quite and adventure. It might be an idea to notify your local Firearms Enquiry Officer early in case one of the safes turns out to contain something. He will have inspected the site before and might be able to offer specific advice.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Sounds good. I would love a basement/cellar. Reckon you will so some good things with that.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

FEISTY wrote:So jealous. Didn't think such a place would exist in the West of Scotland. Wondering how much you paid and how much it will all cost you in the end? Be careful with the electrics and gas stuff. No house is safe from dodgy wiring, gas explosions and CM gas - some of this isn't DIY territory. Are you sure the dead chap wasn't the local mafia, drug dealer or dirty tricks businessman :)? Only family we know with extensive security has ticked off so many people (running another bus company off the road, etc) I would imagine he doesn't walk down many dark alleys by himself :). He's busy working on his "pillar of the community" status, but people don't forget. Just make sure folks know the house has a new owner :)! I really want a safe room :).

well about 7 years ago when I gave up being an electrician I got myself a masters degree in Electrical Engineering ...... I think I'll be ok, I do rewiring jobs for friends all the time so I haven't lost any of the practical skills. Gas is something I wont touch, but plumbing, carpentry and brickwork is easy once you know how.

Local mafia .... no ..... but he was Italian so real Mafia .... maybe lol ...... (seriously he was Italian, no joke)

I'm budgeting about £40,000 at the moment for the refurb (it's not unlivable at the moment just not my taste then there's upgrading the heating and windows/doors etc), everything I feel I need to do in the next year will total about £20,000 if I do it all myself. after that it really depends, I always think you need to live somewhere for a little while before you really know what extras you actually want to do rather than just jumping in from the start.

the neighbors seem OK, bumped into both of them on the second viewing, elderly couple one side who have already cut my grass for me I drove past last weekend and seen him (I hope it doesn't continue, it's a nice gesture but I do like my privacy) and the other neighbors are a young family with 2 kids they seem nice.
Last edited by xplosiv1 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Bad Wombat wrote:Sounds like the previous owner was a registered firearms dealer. My local friendly RFD has a similar setup. I suspect all you will find are a few empty rifle cartridges rolling around. If you do find any prohibited items (and that can be pretty much anything related to firearms) you can surrender them at your local police station, or might be able to drop them off at your own local registered firearms dealer, or even at your local target shooting club. I wouldn't keep hold of anything like that and definitely wouldn't recommend disposing of such stuff yourself. I know someone who tried that and it caused quite a fuss. Gun safes are pretty expensive. I imagine a local RFD or shooting club would fall over themselves if you wanted to get rid of them. If you don't have the keys to the safes then you could be in for quite and adventure. It might be an idea to notify your local Firearms Enquiry Officer early in case one of the safes turns out to contain something. He will have inspected the site before and might be able to offer specific advice.

I do have an FAC but yeah anything found is going to another home (police), it's just not worth the hassle keeping unlicensed firearms.

I noticed a shotgun shell re-loader in the corner of the safe room must inquire down the station if I can keep or sell it, the estate agent tried to tell me it was a drill ..... ( just nodded my head and said, oh ok nice drill)

yeah my dad is looking for another cabinet so his name is on one of them already, they are a bit pricy alright
Area 11

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Remember to call them out to what you find.......... personally i think the fact this guy is a tit for sitting on it for 4 days before handing it in but...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... tence.html
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Remember to call them out to what you find.......... personally i think the fact this guy is a tit for sitting on it for 4 days before handing it in but...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... tence.html

trust me as soon as I move in the entire place is getting a clean sweep, there's no point in even touching a firearm you find as if the weapon was linked to a crime it only becomes that much harder to prove you had nothing to do with it.

better off just leaving it where it is and getting the police to deal with it

I doubt i'll find anything, I wouldn't be surprised if the local plod have been through the place already. this was a pretty impressive set up, there's photos of hunting and mounted deer heads up everywhere among other things. he even had a paddock out back for a small army of gun dogs.
Area 11

external

Post by external »

Sounds amazing, like others have said I echo that I too would love a safe room, heck even a room that is safe from the Mrs would be a start!
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Mounted deer heads? Fabulous, I know it's not to everyones taste but antlers and horns are sooooo beautiful. Nature showing off. Fabulous!
Knowledge is power
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Well done on getting such an amazing house!!! We have a "priest hole" that we stash stuff in. Just the Christmas tree at the moment but loads of room for food preps. Nothing as grand as your room, though!! :D