Which disinfectant?

How are you preparing
Hamradioop

Re: Which disinfectant?

Post by Hamradioop »

Bleach is the one for me and easy to get at the moment.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Agreed can't go wrong with bleach. The mention of jeyes fluid , which is a phenol compound unless it's been changed , brings back a story from a training course. Phenol is of course quite a dangerous chemical which is why it works so well as a disinfectant , but the story that was related to us really rubbed it in. It told of a decorator who stood on a barrel of phenol which unfortunately gave way plunging him into the liquid pretty much up to his waist. The exposure was sufficient to result in the poor mans death .
jansman

Post by jansman »

The phenols have been removed from Jeyes fluid now( I bet ten years) along with creosote. I am a big fan of Jeyes for outdoors, what with animal husbandry and greenhouses. As many have said here, Devonian in particular, bleach is the Boy! Also the Dettol spray.
Part of my job as a butcher entails running our hygiene system. I meet regularly with environmental health. They recommend the Dettol spray as it is pre mixed, so there is no room for error. And it works. So does bleach. I have to routinely swab areas to check for pathogens. When either of the above products are used, the swabs always flag up as CLEAN. That'll do for me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

jansman wrote:The phenols have been removed from Jeyes fluid now( I bet ten years) along with creosote. I am a big fan of Jeyes for outdoors, what with animal husbandry and greenhouses. As many have said here, Devonian in particular, bleach is the Boy! Also the Dettol spray.
Part of my job as a butcher entails running our hygiene system. I meet regularly with environmental health. They recommend the Dettol spray as it is pre mixed, so there is no room for error. And it works. So does bleach. I have to routinely swab areas to check for pathogens. When either of the above products are used, the swabs always flag up as CLEAN. That'll do for me.
As it happens I'm an Environmental Health Officer and I agree both are good disinfectants as long as the surface is cleaned first and you allow enough contact time for the product to work.
Forewarned is forearmed
jansman

Post by jansman »

:lol: :lol: Ha Ha! Of course, the HACCP manual always details a prewash for all areas prior to disinfecting. You will find that in the cleaning schedule! COSHH details for the disinfectants are in the relevant file! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote:The phenols have been removed from Jeyes fluid now( I bet ten years).
Right thanks for that. Doesn't surprise me , phenols are pretty nasty . I've still got a tin that must be a couple of decades old along with a drum of creosote / old engine oil mix that my father used to paint his fences with.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I still mix engine oil with the new -style creosote! :lol: dad-style !

Robert Frost.

Me.
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

Value bleach is only 29p for 2l in Asda
Forewarned is forearmed
jansman

Post by jansman »

The value bleach is good. I use it for my home brewing kit. Works a treat.

Robert Frost.

Me.
cypher

Post by cypher »

jansman wrote:I still mix engine oil with the new -style creosote! :lol: dad-style !
me too, if it was good enough for my father and grandfather, then it's good enough for me :lol:
Area 6