car safety hammer.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
lightningxl

Re: car safety hammer.

Post by lightningxl »

As a law abiding citizen I carry a safety hammer to break windows and cut seat belts in an emergency - if someone is carjacking me then I'll take the risk. This is a PREPPING forum so mental am prepping for worst case scenario.

I do not have a fear of crime and think it is unlikely that I'd ever be put in a position where I felt a needed to protect my self but if anyone invaded my space then I feel the law would be on my side.

PS it also open beers.

PPS No I don't drink drive. Better make that pop just incase someone get the wrong idea....
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

If I may just take this back to the original post, please, please, please all of you carry a safety hammer or similar device. The ugly side of my day job is accident investigation and....well...just get a safety hammer with belt cutter this weekend if you haven't got one already.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Thank you Briggs - keep up the good work.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I have no concern that you have a Life hammer for its intended purpose. My concern was the statement that it could be used as a weapon, which is why i pointed out the definition of a offensive weapon and how your words could be used against you. Don't forget your IP address can be trace back to you.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

lightningxl wrote:As a law abiding citizen I carry a safety hammer to break windows and cut seat belts in an emergency - if someone is carjacking me then I'll take the risk. This is a PREPPING forum so mental am prepping for worst case scenario.

I do not have a fear of crime and think it is unlikely that I'd ever be put in a position where I felt a needed to protect my self but if anyone invaded my space then I feel the law would be on my side.

PS it also open beers.

PPS No I don't drink drive. Better make that pop just in case someone get the wrong idea....

lightningxl I agree with you all the way (see my other posts), but I mentioned on another thread about a lad who answered a police officers question about a baseball bat by saying "for defence" and got arrested......

Have whatever you need to hand but have a reason for it...................... dont tell anyone tho :tinfoil

Someone also mentioned the martial arts aspect, I dabbled in Judo a few years back, just enough to learn the basics, and my understanding is that if it went to court the prosecution would use it against you....

I could be wrong tho , watched way too many american TV shows over the years :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:If I may just take this back to the original post, please, please, please all of you carry a safety hammer or similar device. The ugly side of my day job is accident investigation and....well...just get a safety hammer with belt cutter this weekend if you haven't got one already.

Well said I used mine to rescue a lorry driver who was trapped (uninjured) in his overturned cab with diesel from the tank breather washing over the exhaust / dpf system

I've binned 2 resqueme tools that simply fell apart in my pocket original life hammer every time for me
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:If I may just take this back to the original post, please, please, please all of you carry a safety hammer or similar device. The ugly side of my day job is accident investigation and....well...just get a safety hammer with belt cutter this weekend if you haven't got one already.

Well said I used mine to rescue a lorry driver who was trapped (uninjured) in his overturned cab with diesel from the tank breather washing over the exhaust / dpf system

I've binned 2 resqueme tools that simply fell apart in my pocket original life hammer every time for me

This thread (and another) has prompted me to get a Life Hammer as a backup for my knife, any links to Good ones , loads on Amazon but dont want cheap tat for this purpose..
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Less than a £5 at screwfix

http://m.screwfix.com/details.htm?id=48101&csnbl=1

Cheaper if you buy more

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

poppypiesdad wrote:Less than a £5 at screwfix

http://m.screwfix.com/details.htm?id=48101&csnbl=1

Cheaper if you buy more

J

Cheers, £2 on amazon, but are they any good, have they got to be tested to any standard etc.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've tested the Screwfix one - it works as it should. Mrs B has one of these in her car in the passenger footwell which is within reach of her left hand. She has a multi-tool with a glass breaker on the end attached by a length of cord to the inside of the drivers door for right handed use. I got this from www.edcgear.co.uk but I can't see it on their web anymore.

We both carry the Uzi pen which has a glass breaker in the cap. These are pricey at around £15 but I can say they work well - two blows and you're through a side window. Be careful there are some cheap copies on eBay. The proper ones have a glass breaking tip, the cheap ones just have metal that looks like the real thing.

While I was on the edcgear website I noticed this http://www.edcgear.co.uk/ProductDetails ... ode=BOP310. I'm quite tempted to add this to my key-ring.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors