What are we planning to grow this year?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: What are we planning to grow this year?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Turnip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip
Swede
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga

Difference?
Not a lot apparently, the word Neep can be used for either
Swede has more calories* (38 per 100 grams rather then 22) and you can eat all of both of them or use them as animal feed

*If Wikipedia can be believed
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

You foreigners up there :lol: usually mean swedes Lil when you talk about Neeps. I am going to grow them myself this year, as we love 'em. Send me a pm and I will send you half a pack of seed (about 300!). :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Lovely mashed with a dot of butter and ground black pepper or mixed in with mashed spuds on top of cottage pie 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I like 'Podge' (swede and carrot mashed together, add butter etc to taste) and recently had parsnip mash, that was really nice.

The only time I can recall eating turnip it was in a Blind Scouse and I couldn't pick out the flavour.

Now I'm going to have to get some..... Any advice on growing roots?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Don't try to start root crops too early, no matter what the packet says. Soil needs to be warm. Make sure the area stays weeded, and thin your crop ruthlessly. Do not pull the thinnings out, snip 'em with scissors-less disturbance that way. And be patient.

Robert Frost.

Me.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Top tip with cutting the thinnings out. I need to get much better at thinning for truly worthwhile root veg. Cheers.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

featherstick wrote:Top tip with cutting the thinnings out. I need to get much better at thinning for truly worthwhile root veg. Cheers.
While talking about it, am I right in thinking that most root crops have edible tops ?

So, thinnings salad anyone?
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

You can certainly eat turnip and probably swede tops. I've cooked mature beetroot tops before but it's a bit rough. I don't know whether carrot or parsnip tops are edible.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks for the interpreting. They're bloody neeps then and will remain that way. Yes mashed with butter and pepper :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
featherstick wrote:Top tip with cutting the thinnings out. I need to get much better at thinning for truly worthwhile root veg. Cheers.
While talking about it, am I right in thinking that most root crops have edible tops ?

So, thinnings salad anyone?
Yes, they are edible. Beet, turnip, swede, celeriac. However, I am not sure about parsnip.

Robert Frost.

Me.