Does your family know...

How are you preparing
Hamradioop

Re: Does your family know...

Post by Hamradioop »

Get well soon Jansman and Mr Su.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

nickdutch wrote:All I can say is get well soon. I am not in the same situation. I am the youngest in the family, my sister lives away, my parents are getting older and i can forsee my mother needing more help with the passage of time.

This is an interesting scenario and to add to my woes one I am getting familiar with. My mum was diagnosed with Parkinson's and although initially it was managed well with medication things have started to change.
A few weeks ago she started getting a lot of pain and was losing mobility. Working full time I helped as much as I could. It now turns out that after X-rays etc she has 2 small fractures in her pelvis. She now has a 'walker' and I went and got her a swivel seat for the car, rushing around after work before the mobility shops closed.

I am the eldest, my step dad has his own health issues, 3 siblings live away, 2 live locally but run their own business so are also very busy. She lives in the village where I teach but 16 miles from where I live.

It is getting to be a big worry of mine... :cry: (another reason why I'm not here as much as I would like).
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Its true, and its also something that makes (if you have enough money) preparing for the hypothetical nightmare scenarios of economic collapse and global war look a lot easier. There is plenty of unexpected stuff in the normal real world that can become a problem and one cant always do something about.

preppingsu wrote:
nickdutch wrote:All I can say is get well soon. I am not in the same situation. I am the youngest in the family, my sister lives away, my parents are getting older and i can forsee my mother needing more help with the passage of time.

This is an interesting scenario and to add to my woes one I am getting familiar with. My mum was diagnosed with Parkinson's and although initially it was managed well with medication things have started to change.
A few weeks ago she started getting a lot of pain and was losing mobility. Working full time I helped as much as I could. It now turns out that after X-rays etc she has 2 small fractures in her pelvis. She now has a 'walker' and I went and got her a swivel seat for the car, rushing around after work before the mobility shops closed.

I am the eldest, my step dad has his own health issues, 3 siblings live away, 2 live locally but run their own business so are also very busy. She lives in the village where I teach but 16 miles from where I live.

It is getting to be a big worry of mine... :cry: (another reason why I'm not here as much as I would like).
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
unsure

Post by unsure »

Plymtom wrote:Get well soon Jansman + Mr Su ;)
I see what you mean, there's not much I do that has to be done which someone else doesn't know how to or how I do it as you put it, trouble is I'm the oldest and the carer for Wife, Daughter, and possibly younger son should his genetic illness take the same path as the females my eldest son has few problems which he couldn't sort out if he wishes, now I had been thinking for a long time how would they cope? Until the other day when it struck me that I may have to face the unpleasant potential eventuality of not being the first to pop my clogs, they would struggle to put it mildly knowing how to does not constitute capability even with the will for disabled people, but for my part losing any of them whilst unthinkable and unimaginable in my former mind set, in reality has shorter odds than many if not all of the cataclysmic SHTF scenarios we discuss here, so it sort of turns the question on it's head does it not, instead of prepping for their future security has anyone else considered potentially being the only survivor of a nuclear family?.... I hadn't.
the mrs and i , have been working out who we are prepping for in the past few months , us 2 plus grand kids 5 an my parents 2 add in 3 children of our . so thats 12 in total . it appears that we didn`t even consider we could only be prepping for the 2 of us .
my mother went in to hospital just before christmas with a lung infection , if you add into that a bad heart and a history of heart attacks ,, well they discharged her home and told us to prepare for the worst , it could be days or weeks .
so how does any one prepare for the loss of a loved one .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Unsure, you cannot prepare for the loss of a loved one. You can only deal with it when it happens. I watched my Dad take 18 months to die of Cancer, and it still hurt. In a way, because you know what to expect you are already dealing with it. I reacted better than Ithought Iwould, but it hurts. People will tell you that time heals. It does. Good luck.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

What jansman said unsure... its a natural part of life to lose our parents and we do get through it. Time does help and life does go on. The good thing about life is that it's not constant - the world keeps on turning and nothing goes on forever, the good or the bad. I think life is a long twisty country road, with steep hills every so often, and prep for what's around the next bend, and I just keep on trekking ;)
unsure

Post by unsure »

jansman , diamond lil . thank you for your kind works

i hear what your saying and i do take some comfort in knowing that in the end it happens to all of us that and the fact that she will no longer be in pain , my wife is a tower of strength as she lost her mum many years ago .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Just take each day as it comes and take up any offers of help that come along. Like Jansnan and Diamond Lil said you can't prepare as such but can only do what you need to do when needed. I nursed my Mum for a year in my early 20's, she had a brain tumour. Cherish the time you have with your Mum and try to make every day count for you all. You will get through the tough times ahead and you will find yourself stronger than you think you are. Xx
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Hi unsure
I lost my mum just before Christmas so it is still very raw for me. Enjoy the time you have with her now make some happy memory's, take her out if possible buy her a bunch of flowers on valentines day, talk to her ask her what song did she like the most when she was young what was her and your dads song if you feel up to it ask her what she wants for her funeral then you know you are doing what she wants and not what you think she wants
In a way I was lucky in that I have dealt with death a lot as I have always worked with the elderly and always discussed death with my mother but it was only about a month before she died that I discovered that she did not want to have her ashes put with my fathers at Lewisham Crem which was lucky as that was where she was going but she made it very well known to me that she did not care where she went as long as it was not Lewisham. Don't think you will bounce back grief takes about two years for most people you will have good days you will have bad days the memory's you make now will help
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
junmist

Post by junmist »

Get well soon Jansman and Mr Su
The family that would come to help know how to look after the animals and also the garden though they are not the best gardeners in the world I would not expect all of the plants to survive especially the seedlings. I also know that the little things would slide, you know the things we all do as second nature with out thinking but the main things would be done. They may not be done how I like them to be or as good as I could do them but they would be done which when you are ill is all you can ask for.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle