A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dangerman

Re: A UK friendly specific EDC gadget thread!

Post by dangerman »

metatron wrote:
dangerman wrote:
metatron wrote: Nope, Nexus devices have non removable batteries and no expandable memory but 32GB seems to have been enough. The battery in my watch will last about 6 to 8 years, the battery in my Nexus is about two days at most, hence always having a watch. A good watch will out last you and can be passed down to kids, so I don't mind spending a bit on watches.
This is true. I do like watches, I've always enjoyed a nice watch and I've always gone swiss when I could, but jap when swiss was out of my budget.

But I still don't really need a watch, I always have a spare phone battery and a small Aukey battery in my day bag to top up if I need it. I can still use my phone. Theoretically I could give my phone a 100% charge three times just with my EDC.

What's the make and model of that watch?
It's a Chrono Classic from Victorinox. Their not too pricy as you can get them for around £500, so its at that price point where its cheaper then most smart phones, yet unlike smartphones they don't lose their value.

I've got a small collection of watches but its normally that or a Omega Seamaster, as their not overly flashy. I quite like the G-Shock range too, but they don't really fit with my work wear most the time, which is smart, as I find its better to blend in, then be that IT guy who wears nothing but trainers, jeans, a suitable geeky t-shirt and hoodie when everyone around them is in a suit.

I did order a Ti2 torch through Amazon, but it was dead on arrival so I sent it back and didn't bother replacing it and took the refund.
You know what, I'd have never seriously considered spending that much on a watch until you compared it to the ridiculous amount that some people spend on a phone every other year. I've always wanted a Tag Monaco but it's the most impractical watch and sooooooo expensive. I'd also love a Seamaster or a Mariner, but when I own too nice things I always worry about being robbed.

Insurance and all that, who needs all that in their life? I think I'll just stick to my cheapy Tissot and just use it occasionally too keep things simple. :D

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Ive tried the lenser above as a EDC torch but the blasted thing was always flat when i went to it (due to it turning on in my pocket)

I went back to the trusty Solitaire maglite which i had to strip and clean the contacts its lasted me years (got it on my 18th from my sister and im now mid 30's the knurling on the outside had vanished :o only to upgrade it last year to one of the newer LED versions which kicks the crap out of the older bulb version in terms of brightness

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-Solitai ... +solitaire

on my housekeys i have a leatherman squirt PS4 a £20 note in the pill pod shown above , a set of keys for my BOL, a first aid cpr mask and gloves, and a SOL howler whistle, and the maglite above..

Car keys carry the CPR mask and gloves and whistle and a spiderco Bug none locking knife and another £20 pill holder

I had the same issue with the Led Lenser turning on when it's not supposed to. It also somehow managed to dismantle itself at one point. I thought it was broken at first, but it all screwed back together once I figured what went where.

Is there any advantage of the solitaire over the ti2 then? Spec wise? Because mine only cost £7.75 and that one is, like, more than double. It is nice though, I have considered it in the past. I tried to go for the ti3 initially but I selected the wrong box on Amazon and once the torch arrived I decided to keep it. The tin it came in I'm still intending to turn into a wet fire kit that I'm intending on keeping in my Go Bag.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
metatron

Post by metatron »

dangerman wrote:
You know what, I'd have never seriously considered spending that much on a watch until you compared it to the ridiculous amount that some people spend on a phone every other year. I've always wanted a Tag Monaco but it's the most impractical watch and sooooooo expensive. I'd also love a Seamaster or a Mariner, but when I own too nice things I always worry about being robbed.

Insurance and all that, who needs all that in their life? I think I'll just stick to my cheapy Tissot and just use it occasionally too keep things simple. :D

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Ive tried the lenser above as a EDC torch but the blasted thing was always flat when i went to it (due to it turning on in my pocket)

I went back to the trusty Solitaire maglite which i had to strip and clean the contacts its lasted me years (got it on my 18th from my sister and im now mid 30's the knurling on the outside had vanished :o only to upgrade it last year to one of the newer LED versions which kicks the crap out of the older bulb version in terms of brightness

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-Solitai ... +solitaire

on my housekeys i have a leatherman squirt PS4 a £20 note in the pill pod shown above , a set of keys for my BOL, a first aid cpr mask and gloves, and a SOL howler whistle, and the maglite above..

Car keys carry the CPR mask and gloves and whistle and a spiderco Bug none locking knife and another £20 pill holder

I had the same issue with the Led Lenser turning on when it's not supposed to. It also somehow managed to dismantle itself at one point. I thought it was broken at first, but it all screwed back together once I figured what went where.

Is there any advantage of the solitaire over the ti2 then? Spec wise? Because mine only cost £7.75 and that one is, like, more than double. It is nice though, I have considered it in the past. I tried to go for the ti3 initially but I selected the wrong box on Amazon and once the torch arrived I decided to keep it. The tin it came in I'm still intending to turn into a wet fire kit that I'm intending on keeping in my Go Bag.
I buy Maglite's at car boot sales and replace the bulbs with cheap LED I buy by the hundred from China for next to nothing. I'm not sure I'd buy a new one, their a bit expensive for a very basic design, with a sub par LED.

There are so many good torches for that money:
Streamlight MicroStream LED
You could get two Coast G19
Nitecore Sens AA
Nextorch K3

I really like the Streamlight MicroStream LED, from a size, power, build, reliability standpoint. Its not the brightest thing at that price but its built to last.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Since the old maglite lasted me so well i opted to stick with the brand :) ive lost count of how many cheaper torches ive had in the past and the maglites whilst old hat technology seem to have the reliability sorted

Lumens 37 lm
Length3-3/16 in. 81 mm
Beam Distance 61 Meters

which doesn't break any world records but it just works and if it lasts the best part of 15 years like the old one (which does still work) i will be happy
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

What isn't broken one isn't wise to attempt to fix... Or something like that. Stick with what you know buddy. I might have a crack at looking for an old maglite and see if I can do the LED thing.

I have a key issue and need an organising solution. I tried the True Utility Keyring System but it was a total crock of crap. That may be an unfair review, because I didn't really use it the way it was intended for a very long time. But, after a week or so of using it, my car keys detached from my other keys in my pocket. Decided that it was flimsy crap and didn't want to risk my car key bearing in mind that it could cost hundreds to replace since I don't have a spare.

I'm considering this gadget instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/True-Utility- ... SwzOxUWb-S

Any other suggestions?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Must admit i have the same issue with keys (and our house has been fitted with matching key number locks so thats 4 keys down to 1)

my car keys have 12 on the bunch + the ruddy car key...

:?

ranging from the 3 for my trailer / security locks,

house key/ gate key / garage key

6 work keys Gates/ switchroom keys/ heating control unit key, plant machinery keys :roll:

and i have cut them down........

plus resussiade, sol whistle, Tritum glow stick :mrgreen:

issue with the solitare is the one cell giving 1.5v and the compact nature of the torch its mini SMD cree chip rather than the old hat 5mm led

and on the Titrium glow stick front i will raise it to EDC gadget status,.....

im a bugger for loosing my keys at home...

wait till dark turn the lights off and look for the glow :lol:

but on a serious note house keys at night and you need to find them fast to evacuate the house mrs andy leaves hers on the stairs at the top..... the orange glow is easy to see .....

my car keys are green glow and my house keys are white.. so even in the dark in our little dish we "hide" them in i can go in the pitch black and pick out the bunch of keys i want

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nite-glow-keyri ... B000EXZNAA
018MV3CM7PL.jpg
018MV3CM7PL.jpg (1.65 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

Decaff

Post by Decaff »

dangerman wrote:What isn't broken one isn't wise to attempt to fix... Or something like that. Stick with what you know buddy. I might have a crack at looking for an old maglite and see if I can do the LED thing.

I have a key issue and need an organising solution. I tried the True Utility Keyring System but it was a total crock of crap. That may be an unfair review, because I didn't really use it the way it was intended for a very long time. But, after a week or so of using it, my car keys detached from my other keys in my pocket. Decided that it was flimsy crap and didn't want to risk my car key bearing in mind that it could cost hundreds to replace since I don't have a spare.

Any other suggestions?
Not sure how helpful this is but what about a carabina clip with the screw fastening rather than just the push clip?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Andy how bright is the glow from the Tritum glow stick? Is it just enough as a marker or could you say read a map with it? Just courious.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

You could at a push just about read a map but its more a marker once your eyes get used to the dark they seem surprisingly bright I'll try and get some pics later

dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Decaff wrote:
dangerman wrote:What isn't broken one isn't wise to attempt to fix... Or something like that. Stick with what you know buddy. I might have a crack at looking for an old maglite and see if I can do the LED thing.

Any other suggestions?
Not sure how helpful this is but what about a carabina clip with the screw fastening rather than just the push clip?
I tried that before. I did work but the one I had wasn't right, it was too bulky and heavy. The lighter ones I have were too flimsy and anything in-between I'd have to buy. Which is sort of why I'm looking at this.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've added a Leatherman Tread to my EDC and overall, I'm quite pleased with how it performs. It's by no means a replacement for one of their full-size tools and you'd be disappointed if you expected it to perform like one but as a handy-to-have-to-hand non-lethal tool, it's well worth considering. The plus point for me is the belt cutter and glass breaker, two things I consider a must-have.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors